1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried MacTheRipper But Can't Quite Grasp It

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by scubagal, Oct 16, 2007.

1. scubagal

scubagal Guest

I installed MacTheRipper on my eMac. Everytime I put in a DVD the player starts playing the movie before I can get anything done. How do I get around this?

2. scubagal

scubagal Guest

I tried it again and this time I was able to stop the player but ran into another problem. Everytime I run the ripper a warning comes up about BUP or something and I ok it but it comes right back.

3. david456

david456 Regular member

Hello, scubagal:

Which version of MacTheRipper are you using?

4. patfoos

patfoos Guest

You need to go into prefs. Open up the DVD player and go to preferences, it should ask you what to do when a DVD is inserted. Make sure the boxes designating an automatic play are unchecked. I had to do the same thing.

5. scubagal

scubagal Guest

Sorry it has taken so long to post back. I have version 2.6.6

6. david456

david456 Regular member

7. scubagal

scubagal Guest

I'll give it a try. Thanks to all who have helped. BTW, is there any free burning software out there for Macs. I do not have Toast and am trying to find and use all the freeware possible. Thanks again.

8. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

Is it especially a bad thing to first start playing the disk with DVD Player? It's been a while, but I understood this was then needed to read some initial data from the disc. After such information as the DVD device (I have two) is thus identified, MacTheRipper automatically starts scanning the DVD. I actually skim the disk, flicking from chapter to chapter, though (because DVDs are random-access) this doesn't check much. VLC is better for this, but I do it three times: initially, after ripping, and after constructing the disk image (with the free DVD Imager). Often the VIDEO_TS file produced by MacTheRipper won't play: myDVDedit will then automatically repair it. So, I don't see it as a bad thing.

9. Gneiss1

Gneiss1 Regular member

On December 14, you asked us to recommend free software. This should have been asked in a different thread, but here's my recommendation for MacOSX 10.4 (Tiger).

CREATE FOLDER ICON ON DESKTOP

Mine I call Movie Backups, and it contains aliases to

Apple's DVD Player
    MacTheRipper
    DVD Imager
    Apple's Disk Utility
    LightScribe Labeler
    Movies Folder
    Video Tools Folder

You need only the first four, which I relabel 1. View DVD, 2. Rip DVD to Folder, 3. Folder to UDF Disk Image, 4. Copy Unmounted Image to DVD, & 5. Label DVD. I like to play a bit of the movie initially (after cleaning), and after each subsequent step. Because of the time involved, Verbatim discs are the most cost efficient; and I have an external drive that writes DVD+R DL, so no commercial, lossy compressor is needed. The copies are exact.

Once DVD Player finds the information needed for MacTheRipper, it starts to scan. When I close the player, I press the blue button and write a folder to Movies. (If this won't play, I load VIDEO_TS into MyDVDEdit, which automatically fixes problems, then I save it.) I open DVD Imager and drop VIDEO_TS onto it. This creates the unmounted image of a UDF disk (containing a folder AUDIO_TS for consistency): mymovie.img. Double click it to mount it (or Disk Utility won't see it): mymovie.dmg. Open Disk Utility and burn the unmounted mymovie.img to a blank DVD. (I placed the BURN icon in the toolbar.) Remember to erase each 4 or 7 GB file when you no longer need them, and play a bit of the VIDEO_TS folder after each step. That's it!

HEAT

Because I have only a G4 PowerBook, I set my custom energy saver to everything off, move the pointer to a corner that turns off the screen saver, and place an icepack in one layer of towel under the computer. The icepack stays at 0 degrees Celsius until the last crystal is melted, in about 30 minutes. I've downloaded the free Temperature Monitor, and asked it to speak the high & low temperatures when they change by 3 degrees Celsius. This is the only program I run in the background.

Verbatim disks consequently burn without coasters, DVD+R at 18x, DVD+R DL at 4x, & CD-R at 48x. Verify all. If one fails the verification, you can recopy it (about 6 minutes) or it may still play. Try it on your television first. Because MacOSX is writing many files as all this is taking place, I do compress my hard disk with a shareware program (iDefrag) now & then.