1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to burn onto new 16X Memorex DVD-R discs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Msmolyar, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Msmolyar

Msmolyar Member

I just got a 50 pack of 16X Memorex DVD-R's, and there was a small information thing that came with it that said your dvd drives may need to update their firmware. Now when I first tried burning with Nero, it didn't work. That was not that suprising. So I went to update my driver but windows said that I had the latest update already. Then I checked online but didn't really find anything.

I have a NEC 3520A DVD burner and I'm not sure if I need new firmware or not. When I try to burn with nero it immediately says "Burn Process Failed".

Does anyone know what's going on? Help is appreciated.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

A good site to check on firmware for your drive is at this link.

http://www.rpc1.com.

You need to check the blank media section on Memorex dvd blanks. They are not usually a good choice and considered junk by most members. The biggest reason being they do not manufacture the blank media. They purchase the blanks from many different manufacturers. For that reason they can't be trusted. You could get a batch made by a good company, but most likely they will be from one of the companies that make poor quality blanks.
    Try burning at a slow speed maybe 4x and see if they burn.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  3. JVC

JVC Active member

msmolyar.....
    In case you didn't realize it, firmware and drivers are different things. Drivers come on your OS, for most brands of rom drives and burners. Firmware, is produced by the manufacturer of your drive, and is what makes it work. It also adds ability to recognize and work with, different brands of media.
    Here is a page, with a firmware listed for your drive: http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=37917&highlight=3520A

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  4. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

@msmoylar

I have the same drive, and if my rapidly fading memory doesn't fail me, the latest version of firmware is 1.07. I'm at work now and can't check. What version is yours? I have 2 50-pack 16X dvds (think they came from OD, but I haven't used one yet to see if they work.

5. Msmolyar

Msmolyar Member

Hey guys thanks a lot for the help. I went to the provided link and it worked.

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Your discs work with the firmware update...and still someone tosses water all over you not wanting to "rain on your parade" while bringing up old threads where other people also had firmware problems and wrongfully blamed the discs. This is a persistent theme in this forum where so few are familiar with optical production, measurements, standards, and testing but so many love to criticize certain brands simply to join the pack of other criticisers. Your drive had problems with the discs because the disc MID code (Media Identification Code) was not in the memory table of your drive. The drive applied default power settings and pulse rates to the discs that did not work. The firmware update added the proper settings to the NOR memory chip in the drive when it added the MID code for the discs you have. The disc quality did not change--the firmware and the settings did.

8. JVC

JVC Active member

@JoeRyan.........
    Several of us have had this discussion with you before. We are trying to save the person a big headache, down the road. So what if the firmware allowed them to burn the discs. It doesn't change the fact that Memorex media [bold]SUCKS[/bold]! It's been proven many times over, by experiences. It may burn ok, and look ok right now. But anytime from one week , to several months down the road, when they want to watch their movie again, it will most likely be unwatchable. When a lot of us says it's crappy media, it's not always about the ability to burn it. It's later, when you want to watch it, and can't!

Instead of picking one post, that a firmware update allowed a person to burn to Memorex, read around all these forums, about all the experiences people have had with Memorex, that has nothing to do with a firmware update. It can get very expensive when you have to reburn the movies to a good media.

9. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@JoeRyan

[bold]The great defender of memorex[/bold]

Here you go again, insinuating that all the [bold]EXPERIENCED[/bold] members on this forum are wrong about your precious memorex...one could actually believe you have a vested interest in CMC Mag.

[bold]A notice to all[/bold]

We are wrong in our assumptions and experience with memorex and CMC mag.....just ask JoeRyan!!!

[bold]DUH[/bold]

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I had to come and say my bit...

Well do ya?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- that just about sums up how i feel about Joe's postings. Whilst some of them are indepth & technical, i'm a bit sick of the pick-and-choose mentality you're using here Joe. You pick out primarily the Memorex and CMC posts and far too often slate our regulars for pointing people away from your two beloved companies. I and many people don't give a flying rats ass about whether your favourite 2 companies' discs are deliberately missed out from mass-produced burners' firmware, or whether they're just plain crap. I've said this on loads of threads already but still you continue to continue this one-man crusade, which would be ok if you stopped attacking regulars who have every right to push our posters away from media that is most likely going to cost them time money and effort. Looks like this is another thread i'm gonna have to add to my profile page, in the Memorex section

12. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Nah, tell them, to buy Memosux,
    Saves all the good stuff for us here at AD.
    Personally I like using the stuff that works.
    Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and Ritek.
    Could just be me though.
    Thanks for reminding me of a previous post where I posted a zero score from a Memosux disk. (Which has completely self destructed since then by the way)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

That's all that I use ;-)

14. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Reread what was written and think about your knee-jerk reactions--
    1) A writer had a problem with a drive and with some discs.
    2) The symptoms pointed to a firmware problem.
    3) The writer updated his firmware, and the discs work.
    4) Another writer said, "So what. That brand is terrible. Check out this old information." The implication is that if you do not have trouble now, you will later. The experience of others is based on different conditions. Where is the logic?
    5) I wrote stating that an attack was unjustified and unwarranted.
    6) I, in turn, am attacked for defending Memorex and CMC. CMC? How did CMC come up? There is no mention of CMC. Memorex sometimes uses Ritek, Prodisc, MBI, and Taiyo Yuden, but the knee-jerk reaction is to condemn Memorex, CMC, TDK, Imation, HP, and others at the mere mention of their names.
    7) "Memorex sucks." This is the technical explanation proferred the by "experts" here. It may work after a recording, but it will fail later. That subsequent failure may also be do to a poor recording associated with mismatched firmware settings, but that is two steps to think about. It's so much easier to blame the disc.
    8) If I question the conclusions drawn by some and object to the unjustified attacks by others, how does that mean I favor particular brands? In this forum I have defended Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, TDK, and Ritek from criticism that was not supported by the symptoms being described. Does that make me a lover of those brands? No. It is only when I defend CMC or Memorex that the wolves howl. Not once have I ever recommended any brands other than two. A logical defense does not imply support, but that may be too fine a distinction for mob mentality.

Blivenet--interesting scan. Funny how you recommend Ritek and then show a RicohJPN (made by Ritek) scan on an incompatible firmware as "proof" another brand is no good. This is exactly my point, but I come to different conclusions. Of course the disc failed later--the original errors were too high in the first place, and time only makes them worse.

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Oh, here we go again...

No one is talking about logic here, we are talking about fact and proven information; something which you seem to ignore a lot. Period.

No one attacked anyone about his media... Gwen posted a link to a thread that would provide the guy with valid & usefull info.
    Is that an attack in your eyes?

I am pretty sure that CMC is the most common manufacturer of disk that Memorex uses. That's how it "came up".

To be frank, that is an easier way to put it to less computer savvy people, rather than go on about firmware; which many people don't know what it is.

No one is howling...
    But, people do object to you saying things, and sticking up for Memorex media etc when, as JVC said,
    "We are trying to save the person a big headache, down the road."
    Do you want to see people having to come bac and say...
    "Why won't my disks play anymore JoeRyan, I thought you said they were good?"

**Howl**...

16. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

"No one is talking about logic here." How sadly true. Logic is the method of troubleshooting, of identifying a problem and resolving it. It forms the scientific method of discovering the truth.

"Fact and proven information.." I have yet to see a specification. That's not hard to understand since test equipment is beyond the means of consumers. There are, however, identifiable physical defects that cause problems. No one has mentioned them either, despite the fact that CMC has gone through more than their share of those types of problems. People's claims are are anecdotal information. Although this information is both valid and valuable, it is neither fact nor proven information. I never ignore either. I just can't find them here.

The user found a solution to his problem. A post informed him that the brand he was using was no good, despite what he was seeing. The "proof" was a link to an old series of attacks on that same brand from a time when everyone was afraid to point out that such attacks were filled with misinformation. Yes, I consider that an attack, however indirect it may have been.

CMC does make a lot of Memorex product. Until the user mentions it, it has no place in the logic of troubleshooting. It is a possibility that could be investigated, but introducing that MID code as a cause is invalid.

The "easier way" you describe means insulting a company when one of its products may not work with a drive that does not recognize it. It also implies that the quality of the product is deficient when, without a tester, the only way to determine quality is to test physical parameters with very expensive test equipment. The issue of compatibility has nothing to do with quality or the character of a company. I object when people ignore this distinction. That does not mean that I buy CMC, love CMC, work for CMC, or own CMC. (The reactions remind me of first graders throwing rocks at little Lulu and being told that was not nice. "Well if you love her, why doncha marry her? He loves Lulu! He loves Lulu!")

Trying to save someone a headache down the road can be accomplished by recommending discs that seem to work for everyone. There is no need to trash a brand with anecdotes from people with other computers, other drives, other firmware who had problems at other times.

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You are obvioulsy missing the point...

That (the above; drives, firmware etc) does not change the fact that Memorex is [bold]bad media![/bold]

Huh? I didn't go about insulting the company or their products etc etc...Wtf?

I said that telling people their media is bad is an "easier way" of doing it than telling them the reasons why, eg, firmware, drive compatibility; all of which, as i stated earlier, aren't understandable for the less PC savvy members.

No one has actually said that... Maybe you let a little truth spill into your reply there.
    Anyhow, you are getting this "reputation" because of your actions, ie, standing up for the media when all you're doing is implementing the wrong ideas to impressionable members who know no better.

To be honest, you are obvioulsy missing everyones point, and still persist to continue in your pointless banter about the matter. If you are open to the fact that Memorex isn't a good media, which I hope you are, then why do this? You are only digging a deeper whole for yourself; making people "attack you"...

I think you should take your Memorex media, and be on your way with your tail firmly between your legs. I for one can't be bothered to continue this, with you of all people. Some people might, but I for one, have no reason to justify my methods/choices, to you.

18. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

"The fact is that Memorex is (sic) bad media." If this is a fact, specify which parameter is out of spec. Facts are measurable. If you cannot measure, then there is the liklihood that other factors may be involved; and you cannot draw that conclusion. Your claim is no longer fact. (This is no defense of Memorex. It is simply logical analysis--THAT IS THE POINT!)

"Memorex sucks." Sorry. I took this as an insult rather than a compliment. Telling people media are bad instead of incompatible is exactly the point: if a disc is incompatible, there is no way of telling whether or not it is bad without other measurements. Taiyo Yuden, a manufacturer of the highest quality, is having a bit of trouble now with their late move to 16X DVD+R. The discs don't work well in many drives. I've seen CATs tests indicating that there is nothing wrong. They are simply late to market and not well supported.

I am not standing up for any medium or any brand. Read what I actually write. I simply oppose someone's interjecting a claim about "bad media" when there: 1) is no indication that a product's being out of spec had anything to do with the poster's original problem; and 2) there are no test measurements to support the claim. (How a scan of a Ritek-manufactured disc with an MID code known to be incompatible with the listed firmware version is proof of poor CMC quality baffles me.) My posts are all to open minds to some validity beyond opinion.

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Read what I write...

20. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

So your saying that 100+ people from this site, with loads of different burner/firmware setups, all are incompatible with Memorex? and that it has nothing to do with the poor quality these disc are manufactured with?
    I for one have had loads of probs with Memorex (mostly CMC) actually physically damaging my DVD-writer, twice i had to get it fixed until i started using better media. MOST batches of them cause read issues for alot of standalone units, and they generally wear out (both player and disc)a lot quicker than other brands. Of course they do do a good batch sometimes but it is rare.
    How can you still be defending such a crap product?