1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to rip a criterion dvd

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by elizka, Nov 18, 2007.

1. elizka

elizka Member

Hi,
    I'm desperately trying to rip a recent criterion dvd "late spring." I'm a newbie in ripping so all I tried was Mac the Ripper (which showed me 'bad sectors' at the end). Now I'm trying to compress it and write it to a dvd on Toast Titanium but once it starts to write, it stops and tells me, it's unable to write it. What else should I try? Are there any free programs I can use for this?
    Thanks!

2. rob868

rob868 Member

have you tried anydvd? if not download it from slysoft.com, im sure that will be able to rip your dvd.

3. david456

david456 Regular member

Hello, elizka:

First of all, check to see if you can play the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive with Apple's DVD Player?

If you can play the VIDEO_TS folder with Apple's DVD Player, try burning your DVD with Toast by selecting Data > DVD-ROM (UDF).

Otherwise, try running the VIDEO_TS folder through DVD2oneX2, and hope that that resolves your problem.

4. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

What version of MacTheRipper are you using, and are you using Full Extraction or Movie Only mode?

5. elizka

elizka Member

I am using version 266. I was trying to do full extraction because I need the movie with audio commentary and not sure how to make sure it is there otherwise.
    I actually cannot open the the VIDEO_TS folder, which probably means that Mac the Ripper just didn't rip it?...
    I haven't tried anydvd yet. But any other suggestions would be also greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all!

6. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

7. david456

david456 Regular member

Hello, elizka:

If you cannot play the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive with Apple's DVD Player, that is not a good sign. You could run the VIDEO_TS folder through DVD2oneX2 to see if the problem is fixed.

Or, you could change the Mode in MacTheRipper, and do a Main Feature or Title Set extraction.

Furthermore, another forum member has posted a download hyperlink to a more up-to-date version of MacTheRipper in another post on this forum; follow the link:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/589218

Cheers

Edit: Too late, see the post above for the link.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  8. elizka

elizka Member

Dear david456 and everybody,
    I asked my friend who has a PC to rip it for me and he did it using DVD Decrypter. It worked! It doesn't solve the problem with Mac the Ripper in the long run, but I'm happy for now!
    Cheers! Thanks for taking the time to reply!