1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tsmuxer green bar?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Neuromods, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

I got Black Hawk Down saved as an MKV file. I used tsmuxer to convert it to blu ray and then used img burn to make an ISO. I then use Nero to burn it to a blu ray disc. However, there is a large annoying green bar at the bottom of the screen and the movie is pushed more to the top of the screen. What could have went wrong?

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

The video is not Blu-Ray ready, if the dimensions of the video are not 1920x1080 or 1280x720 then you will get that green bar. Either resize the video or just mux to m2ts, I suggest the latter as it will be the easiest. Also, when muxing to m2ts, DTS and subtitles are not compatible... so if you are content with just the video and DD 5.1 then you should use that route.

For more information about resizing read through this forum.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. Neuromods

Neuromods Member

Thanks for the help! I will try that when I get some time off work.

4. trojanfoe

trojanfoe Guest

odin24: I don't understand your answer - if he's used TsMuxer to create a blu-ray structured disk (i.e. AVCHD) then it's already been remuxed to .m2ts. You are right about the dimensions though, and
    the only solution is to re-encode with something like MediaCoder or MainConcept Reference to put the video back to 1280x720 (1920x1080 won't fit on a DVD), and then re-mux the audio back in.

Neuromods: You don't need to use ImgBurn and Nero - why not write the blu-ray file structure created by TsMuxer directly to DVD using ImgBurn? It supports UDF 2.50.

5. odin24

odin24 Regular member

There is an option in tsMuxeR to mux to m2ts (without the Blu-Ray structure). Using this format it doesn't matter what the dimensions of the video is, ie. 1280x528 or 1920x818, it will play fine on the PS3.

I beg to differ. I rip my own BDs, recode them through MeGUI/AviSynth using a good Blu-Ray profile (I use Ryu77's), to fit on a DVD9. I almost always use a DTS track @ 1536 kb/s and include subtitles. The bitrate for a 2 hour movie is usually around 6-8mb/s, sometimes spikes up to 10-15mb/s... and I always use 1920x1080. The end result is next to zero perceivable PQ loss.

I always use MegUI/AviSynth and recode to h264. Then I use tsMuxeR to mux to either m2ts or Blu-Ray. I then use either Nero Burning Rom or Cyberlink HD suite to burn to DVD9 UDF 2.5., which will make a AVCHD DVD (Blu-Ray structure only), just a data DVD for plain m2ts files.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  6. trojanfoe

trojanfoe Guest

And how is the resulting .m2ts file different to that found in the BDMV\STREAM folder of the blu-ray structure? None as far as I can tell, so there is no need to remux - simply use the file from that folder. The files may be treated differently by the PS3, depending on their context, but the files themselves are the same.

Well something must be going amiss. I resize to 1280x720 and use a bitrate of 6-8Mb/s (CBR) and the resulting files weigh in at about 6-7GB, just big enough to remux with the original audio and stick on a DVD-9.

Yeah but what program are you using to actually do the re-encoding; x264? Same as MediaCoder, although I tend to use mencoder. Haven't had a problem until PotC: The Curse Of The Black Pearl and neither mencoder nor x264 want to know, so giving MainConcept Reference a go - it's working, but it's very slow (12.5 hour recode). I use ImgBurn to burn the disks - it's free and very easy.

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you mux to "Blu-Ray" the dimensions of your movie must be 1920x1080 or 1280x720, if it is anything else and played as a AVCHD DVD you'll get a big green bar across the bottom of the screen.

If muxed to "m2ts" the dimensions can be whatever and played as is, from a DVD or on the PS3 HDD (without file size limitiations).

Like I said earlier, I only use MeGUI (don't know how to use the others). I specify the exact file size I want and it tells me what the average bit rate will be, if I'm happy then I proceed. Haven't found one that I couldn't do so for... I'm about to try a 3hr15min movie soon, we'll see!

x264 does the recodes, MeGUI is the GUI. My recodes usually take 10-12 hours because of the profile I use, I'm also using Quad Core 2.4GB memory.

8. trojanfoe

trojanfoe Guest

Yes I know that, but the .m2ts file in both cases is the same, it's just that the PS3 will treat them differently whether it's playing the file from within a blu-ray structure (AVC-HD) or standalone (from USB stick, DVD, streamed, etc.). You suggested to the OP that they remux as .m2ts, and I'm just saying there is no need - just take the 000001.m2ts file from the BDMV\STREAM folder of the mux he's already done - it will be the same as the file you get doing a .m2ts mux.

I used trial-and-error with MediaCoder (mencoder/x264) to get the bitrate right to fill as much of a DVD-9 as possible with a 720p recode, and 6-8Mbps seems to be about right. MainConcept Reference, which I've just started using, however has a bitrate calculator on it and I asked it to make the resulting file 7.5GB in size and 7210Kbps was the bitrate it suggested. I cannot see how 1080p recode, that takes 2.25 as many pixels per frame, could fit on DVD-9 with the rates you mentioned. I will give it a try though - I love the horizonatal rez as much as the next man =)
    [/quote]

9. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Ahhh, I see what your're saying. Gotcha, agreed. Yes, take the 00000.m2ts file from the BDMV/stream folder, either stream it or copy it to your PS3 HDD and it will play fine... only if there is AC3 audio (not DTS) and no subtitles.

Unless you can configure your 2 pass method for optimal results I suggest giving MeGUI/AviSynth a try with Ryu77's BD profile. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help otherwise ask Ryu77 himslelf, here's one of his threads.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/639346

BTW, alot of the movies I recode are 1 1/2 comedies/dramas that do not require DTS audio, so I use AC3 which is usually half the size of a DTS file. The extra room for the video comes to an approx 10mb/s bit rate for the video... which looks superb. If my bit rate would fall below 5mb/s with DTS audio I would convert to AC3 to add addition video bit rate. Also, if a BD doesn't come with DTS, I'll take the PCM or TrueHD track and convert it to DTS @ 1536mb/s with eac3toGUI and Surcode.

10. onoffhk

onoffhk Member

Hi All,

How can I add top and bottom bars to a 1280x688 video to make it 1280x720 in MEGui, I have tried several days struggling around settings of AVSScript creator, and try different profiles, still not ok.

Please help me, Thanks!

River

11. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Initiate your new script, load your video, keep the resize option checked... ignore the preset values for now. Go to the Edit tab

Directly below the "...fps=23.9759856527702,audio=false)" line enter this;

AddBorders(0,16,0,16)

Now change the resize value while you are still in the Edit Tab from (640,272) to (1280,720)

Save. Configure your settings, recode.

12. onoffhk

onoffhk Member

Wow, works now, Great!

Thanks so much! ~~

13. natlee75

natlee75 Member

I just encountered this issue and am now trying to work my way through it. My question is: Does this green bar appear if your source's height is *above* the required height? For instance, a file with dimensions 1280x728.

14. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Not sure, I've never come across a file above the standard dimensions. Try it, see what happens.

15. crzycraka

crzycraka Member

Im having problems with this too.. I have no idea how to resize the video to 720p.. I tried to use the Megui shit but it doesnt work for me..

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If whatever you try doesn't work, you can crop 4 lines of the top and bottom to make the standard HD resolution. Your video will play fine a a m2ts file in the PS3.

17. crzycraka

crzycraka Member

Can anyone tell me what program to use and what I need to do to resize to 720 so that I can make an AVCHD w/o green bars?

18. jwwes93

jwwes93 Member

I'm still new to the converting .MKVs to Blu Ray, but from my brief experience the green bar seems to appear if there are subtitles in the container. I muxed a copy of Belly 1080p w/o subtitles to Blu Ray and played it on my PS3 with no green bar. Everything else that has subtitles gives me the green bar. Hope this helps

19. odin24

odin24 Regular member

You get the green bar when you mux to Blu-ray with a non Blu-ray compliant video stream. Subtitles has nothing to do with it. For BD compliancy your stream must either be 1920x1080, or 1280x720.

20. jwwes93

jwwes93 Member

You are absolutely right. I regret to inform the I was unlucky at muxing a copy of Ironman 1080p. I removed the subtitles in tsMuxer and I still got the green bar. I think that the copy of Belly was ripped with a different codec. It said AVC in the info file. The others don't list a codec.