1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading HD on Softmodded Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

1. whitore1

whitore1 Member

Configmagic might not work in locking a softmodded drive, but since it's free and a small download, it's definitely worth a try. As long as you have the time, experimenting is a great way to learn new things.

Configmagic is an xbox file, so you'd have to burn it (cd or dvd should work) and the xbox will load the file. If it's not locked, I don't think it will boot, but it might. The instructions say to go past the load screen and then hold both triggers and press the white button. The red light should flash or something. The way I understood it, that might only apply to mod chips.

Another possibility (and a longshot) is to try to run it from xboxhdm's explorer. This just means you'll have to copy the file onto your boot cd. You can then navigate to the file and try to load it. However, I don't think you can load xbox files from that program, so I doubt it would work.

It's tough when your hardware won't cooperate, but as long as you can learn from the mistakes, you're not at a total loss. If you need to get a new hard drive, just be careful with your research. A little luck can help, too. ;-)

2. Swango

Swango Member

I have used XBOXHDM 1.9 on about 50 hard drives. If you have the correct EEPROM on the dvd that you are using to lock your unlocked drive it will give you a "review" of your drive meaning it will tell you what kind of drive, the serial number, whether its locked or not, and WHETHER OR NOT IT IS LOCKABLE. Not all drives are lockable and 1.9 will read the drive and tell you if "Security Enabled" and I think the other one says "Security Available" then have yes or no after each one. Also it will say frozen or that your limit is exceeded if you have locked it too many times. Great program and never had trouble with it.

3. zaenale

zaenale Member

Dear guys,

I already have softmoded Xbox, and now I want upgrade it with 320 Gb Seagate hard drive. I already, follow the all available tutorial, but I just got my C, E, F drive with total only 130 Gb but no G drive.

How to maximize my 320 Gb hard disk? could u give me the simple one tutorial. thanks in advance for your help.

zaenale

4. Swango

Swango Member

@zaenale

Just go to settings>storage then enable G:= yes

5. zaenale

zaenale Member

I will try. thanks swango. give me little day to reply.

6. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

First you need to format the F and G drives if they're not there. Use the aid disc or xbpartitioner to do this.

Here's a link to download xbpartitioner
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RKC07YB9

Save it to your computer, unrar it and ftp the folder to your apps section on your xbox. Then restart the xbox choose apps then xbpartitioner.

7. Swango

Swango Member

Not saying that this isn't a proper program, but I have never had to use such program. I have 3 Xboxs with 200, 250 and 320gb and all I have ever had to do is go into settings and enable G:.
    After reading I see that xbpartitioner actually combines F: and G: into one drive so that it shows up as 1 large space into 2 smaller. I personally don't mind it being F: and G: separated but if you prefer 1....
    I did use SID 5.01 to softmod and the Unleash X dash so this may have the correct software to enable the G: drive built in. If I remember correctly, using SID 4.0 I did have to go into the format menu using the password "xbox" and had to format G: before usage, however this latest 320gb I installed about 1 month ago I did nothing more than go to settings>stoage>enable G:=yes

I have been using SID 5.01 and UnleashX for so long I forgot that there are other older softmod files and dashboards that probably aren't as simple as that.

More reading.....it seems as though it is UnleashX that allows the format of G: and then you can change to any dash you like after you use UnleashX to format the G: drive.
    So, if you are using UnleashX as your dash, problem solved...just enable G: and format it. if you are not using UnleashX then let us know and someone will help you ( or simply use C4RN1's link to xbpartitoner)

8. Swango

Swango Member

9. agadabar

agadabar Member

I am sorry if this question has already been asked, I have
    been researching for a while now and can not find the answer.

My x-box has been soft moded before (before I bought it)
    I want to install a larger HD. the disk I make using
    "make-iso-win.bat" is DVD size and my PC tower does not
    have a DVD player. this is where my problem is.

I am new to x-box mods, Is there any files I can delete inorder
    to lessen the size of the ISO? I have the eeprom already.
    Is there a basic package I can download that has the basics
    needed to soft mod with out the Games ( I do not have them and
    do not have a way to get them currently).

I have a larger HD I am trying to use for my x-box mod, I
    understand the steps to use it, but the DVD size ISO file
    is a problem for me.

Thank you for your time,
    Agadabar

10. agadabar

agadabar Member

I have done this method and it gives me a Stock HD (just like it says) but I do not have the games to do the soft mod that way, is there a dashboard file(s) I can get to add to the files before i make the ISO (so the dashboard is on the ISO)

thank you again
    Agadabar

11. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

what version xbox do you have? Is it ntsc or pal?

12. Swango

Swango Member

__________________________________________________________________-

ok first off you need these files or similar dash files
    http://rapidshare.com/files/53322359/UnleashX_0_39_0222A.rar

That is Unleash X dash files

Then you need to follow these directions also from Chunkhead
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/548462

This will show you how to hotswap your regular dash files onto your hard drive but you have to do it correctly because if you mess up your hard drive with no backup of your eeprom you will probably be screwed...

Honestly go buy one of those games to softmod they are super cheap...

13. Swango

Swango Member

You can hotswap and then change the NTSC or PAL configuration in settings can't you?

or if you use UNLEASHX dash files from a SIDS 5.01 you can use the System>softmod menu to back up your eeprom and reinstall the mod WITHOUT a game disc. SIDS 4.0 doesnt have the softmod menu on it but the newer 5.01 does. it will take you straight to the softmod installation screen without any disc in the drive.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  14. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Alright swango slow down there, and please learn how to use the edit button located on the top right part of your post. It looks like a piece of paper and a pencil.

You also need to stop giving so many inaccurate/incorrect answers when you don't understand how everything works.

Let's say Agadabar downloaded the unleash x dash files and used xboxhdm to install. Then when he installs the locked drive in his box he gets an error 21. Why would this happen? The xbox can't find the proper files to boot the modded dash and it throws a code. Those files will only work for certain xbox versions (that's why i asked which version before linking files). If they were all the same i wouldn't have made 3 different versions of my cheater files.

So let's make sure the answer you give this guy is the correct one.

For the answer to your other post, you can switch ntsc and pal using the aid disc with a program called enigma video switcher.

And SID stands for Softmod Installer Deluxe, don't call it SIDS....

15. agadabar

agadabar Member

OK originally this post said i was unsure of my version (it is ntsc)

However I would like to say that, C4RN1 YOU ARE AWESOME !!!!!!!

I read your signature and saw the (Download my cheater C) I compared that to what you said in your post, so i download it and tried it out

- I know that could have been stupid because i did not know if it was the right one, but it was .. my box is not modded and I am very happy. the dvd2xbox application will not download thru the settings->network->downloads is there a good site that has the available applications?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

17. agadabar

agadabar Member

Alright, I think i am starting to understand how all this works. I have unleash x installed now (that is the dash it had before and I am used to it) - I want to put some emulators on it and games that work with those emulators.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  18. Swango

Swango Member

you are swesome man and do not forget the pencil is the edit.......mine was editted before you wrote that? So I might have known how to edit prior to you saying that?? Really I am just trying to help people mod and if you have anything further to say to me PLEASE have a moderator say it to me...I feel as though chunkhead's tutorial...if done correcly AS I SAID would have served the purpose here. My post was editted BEFORE you posted your comment therefor I knew how to use the EDIT without your snide remark about how to "use the edit button located on the top right part of your post."
    Nothing I have said prior to this has been incorrect except not quoting the person about error codes that really was incidental...anyone could have said what the error codes were..it is not a mystery. I do not come on here pretending to correct anyone and I do not expect anyone to follow me post to post correcting me as you have the past few posts. If I have posted incorrect information have a moderator inform me, what you say means nothing to me.

19. varnull

varnull Guest

Hi Swang .. I see you got to grips with everything now XD... Ignore the n00bs.. I try to but sometimes they wind me up and I rip them a new one.
    Haven't seen you post in ages. Hows your old error16 box going on??

20. agadabar

agadabar Member

Swango - I tried the hot swap thing once and messed it uo and my 80gig drive does not work now, only had a 20 left and did not want to mess that one up as well. I know hot swap works, if done correctly.

thanks to everyone for the help.