1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to DVD or DVD to DVD Need Help

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by hbcmarla, Jan 17, 2006.

1. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

It's from compUSA and it's called norwood micro pci tv tuner Pro card w/wireless remote.If you check out catfreaks's link in his post you'll have a better understanding of what I'm taking about. Catfreak also sounds like he has some experience.I had the guy from compUSA open up the package to check if there were any notes on copying commerical VHS in the manual and we couldn't find any so I bought and it works great of course you want a proccessor that can handle it because it will run it up to 100 percent for high quality settings.

2. mdwldw

mdwldw Member

Does anyone know anything about KWORLD VS-L883D PCI Interface DVD Maker Card - Retail? I'm looking for an inexpensive way to copy our family VHS tapes to DVD using my laptop. I've tried with a DVD-REcorder and it takes forever! Please help! Will the DVD's burned using this be campatible with all of my DVD players? That's been another problem with the DVD Recorder. The DVD's I've burned won't play in all of my other DVD player.

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

@ peanuts2 even with your AMD64 3200 you're running close to 100% ? WOW ... I have my Hauppauge PVR350 in my old system (AMD32 w/ 512 DDR) and it pegs out at 100% and I'd bet it would go higher if such a thing was possible ... I was gonna stick it in my new system (looks close to yours) but if you're still pegging it then I probably will just buy something different WTH, it's only money - Does your Norwood have a Tv output? I've noticed that when playing videos on my moniter, I get a ripping effect on the bottom or the top and I know that the Tv clips the picture ever so slightly so when I play my videos through my Tv, I lose the ripping effect ...

@ mdwldw I know nothing about your card .. but I DO know that if you burn DVDs on your PC burner, and booktype them to DVD-ROM, you will have darn close to 100% playability ...

for Bitsetting/Booktyping Explained, click the link in my sig ...

4. mdwldw

mdwldw Member

Thank you catfreak. What type of card do you recommend? I don't have a ton of $$ to spend but do want to get somethign reliable. My experience with the cheap DVD recorder hasn't been a good one.

Thanks again

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

This is an excellent maker of video capture cards ... and this is a card which also allows you to record TV (like a TiVO) here are some venders and their prices:  http://vcdhelp.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=4839413/fd=1

... and some reviews:  http://www.videohelp.com/capturecards.php?CaptureCardRead=9#comments

Victor

6. peanuts2

peanuts2 Regular member

@catfreak. Yes I have a tv output I just don't want to run 15 feet of coax cable to my computer but I'm going to try recording tv shows if possible.I have to give you credit for using anydvd while converting vhs to dvd, that's smart and it makes sense.That would be my first choice if any of my programs failed to convert my vhs to dvd.

7. netdoc

netdoc Member

With regardst to just hooking up a vcr to a capture card. What is the quality like on that? I was under the impression that unless you had a really good S-VHS VCR with some good output quality the capture quality was going to be junk. Is this not the case? I did some of this previously and was not impressed with the pixelation. Did some back and forth on this board and found that you needed some more high end equipment to get good results. I was thinkinng of going to buy the new SamSung DVD-VR325 heard it did a good job for a couple people I know. am I missing something

8. hifidez

hifidez Member

It is earley days yet but my Revion TDR5101 DVD recorder semms to copy from VHS just fine straight out of the box. Just done one test recording from 'Notting Hill' and the recording was perfect. Have done some tests with other VHSs but not sure if they were copy protected or not. Will test fruther and report back. I have included this link if you are at all interested in reading more about this machine...

http://www.area450.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2518

and also here ( a new thread in here)...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/279350

Regards,

9. hifidez

hifidez Member

Sorry please excuse poor typing above - the message refers to the TEVION TDR 5101 (on sale at 89.99 GBP at Aldi supermarkets).

10. tamara152

tamara152 Member

Okay so what I have gathered from reading this forum is that you should burn dvd's on a pc instead of dubbing? I am not quite sure what the difference is. I just recently bought a dvd red pro (which you all did a nice job beating it up) but I haven't received it yet so I do know anything really but what the website said. But anyway I bought it because I want to record dvd to dvd, but from what I gathered is that it will record it but it will not record the special features, and all that other crap that comes on you dvds. Is this right?

11. tamara152

tamara152 Member

Oh yeah and just yesterday I bought the Emerson EWR20V5 (Combo) so from what I have read I am guessing that is bad?

12. Phisher27

Phisher27 Member

Ok, pardon the ignorance, new to this all. I was told at a certain electronics store that a stand alone DVR with hard drive would be able to copy dvds to hard drive and then make copys of them. Well, I have a PIONEER DVR-633H-S DVD Recorder With 160 GB Hard Drive paid for and on the way. I do want to record tv, but also hoped to backup my dvds. I know that most people on here say PC is the way to go. Well, I jumped the gun and PC is now out of the question. What is the best solution for the most reasonable cost for a stand alone DVR.

Thanks all...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  13. Cobrajet

Cobrajet Regular member

Phisher, see my post in the other thread you posted the same question in.