1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture Software

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by rvdfan989, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rvdfan989

rvdfan989 Member

Hi, I've just purchased an ADS DVD Express USB capture device. However, the software bundlded with it, doesn't appear to be that good. The capture software is 'DVD Xpress Capture Wizard'. I actually have captured about 90 minutes of video footage, as an MPEG-2 file and playing it on the software is super. However, when I attempt to play it in Winamp, it freezes and my computer crashes. The same happens when I attempt to create a DVD through TMPGEnc DVD Author, as when I select the clip, it just freezes.

I was wondering is it the software I'm using, or is it something else which I've missed? I'd appreciate any help or advice from anyone who could help me out.

2. Quandtum

Quandtum Member

Get Microsoft's Latest AMCAP. After extensive tests with various programs I found this to give me the best control yet keep everything in sync properly.

The best upgrade you can do though is to get the WDM Capture drivers (ditch the proprietary drivers)!
    http://btwincap.sourceforge.net/
    I installed these and I went from 30fps dropping around 5% and 26fps dropping around 2.1% to 30fps dropping 0.8% and 26fps 0.7%. The capture was also incredibly smoother and picture quality was significanlty improved.

I also found it helpful if you can install a dedicated hard drive (even a small 15.3 gig) with DMA (or at least separate from the operating system). This really helps boost the byte to storage rate.

Mind you I only started this stuff about 2 weeks ago, but it was still quite an effort to test and retest everything. I hope this helps.

3. Quandtum

Quandtum Member