1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Playback no great = new GPU?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by watersilver, Aug 13, 2013.

1. watersilver

watersilver Member

So I've been having some issues with my video playback, but I'm not sure what the the cause, so I'm not sure if it's my GPU.

Basically, I just upgraded my TV to a 1080p Insignia, which I have hooked up to my PC as a second screen, so that I can watch movies on it. I opted to get one with a 120hz smoothing feature (mainly for sports, which looks good on it), but I found that watching videos from my compy resulted in missing frames on a fairly constant rate (depending on the video). I did a bit a research and found that the 120hz options commonly causes this problem and couldn't find a good way to fix it. I turned off 'cinema mode', with some success, but decided to turn off the smoothing to see if that would help. It seems to help with some of the video rips I have, but some of them (typical bigger files in 1080p) still show some slow down, and it seems to be worse on my TV than on my monitor.

That being said, I know that a bottleneck for my system is my pretty outdated GPU. It's an ATI Radeon HD 4800. My processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 965 Processor 3.4ghz with 8192 mb of RAM. I know that GPUs can definitely slow down video playback of bigger files, but it seems weird that it's worse on the TV without the 120HZ smoothing on.

My question is, what can be the cause of this problem? The TV or the connection to it (HDMI), the GPU or some other system problem, or the rips themselves?

Is you can't tell, I'm not the most tech-savvy, so any replies that aren't 50% acronyms would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. watersilver

watersilver Member

I think the Ram is in here somewhere:

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9442)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9442&SUBSYS_05021002&REV_00
    Display Memory: 4095 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 501 MB
    Shared Memory: 3594 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

:)

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think it is the 501meg.

5. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

it's a 512Mbyte card. the real question is ATI 4800 what, there are at least 4 cards in that series.

im going to go out on a limb here and assume you have the bottom of the barrel card the 4830, in which case its safe to assume your TV or player software isn't playing nice. as the 4830 is quite capable of 1920x1080 playback. you'll want to turn off all the fancy bells and whistles in programs like cyberpower DVD. you also might try VLC+K-light and see if that helps.

6. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

actually simple the radeon hd series 4800 and even the 6450 has major issues with 120 hz i have tried. The max i can get one untill graphics distortion is 1366x768 not even hd hd my can this card cant even do hd successfully upgrade your gpu if you can

7. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

If you don't want to purchase a new graphics card just yet, you can always convert your
    HD files to dvd with convert X and then play with vlc player.