1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to restore your Microsoft Dashboard to it's Retail State? Read Inside.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Mik3h, Sep 28, 2006.

1. LeoDutch

LeoDutch Member

Guys,

I've got a problem with softmodding my xbox. All goes well with installing the softmod via a savegame from Splintercell and when i boot up i can see the evox or unleashed dash.

The only thing i am not able to do is play downloaded games or burned dvd's on the xbox. It keeps saying the disc in the drive is not compatible. How the bleep can i make my dvd player work, so i can install emulators etc on my xbox.

grtz,

Leo

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I have another way which is using the Linux Live CD. Works for all Xbox's except that you need to open it and you need an EEPROM backup. Other than that, this is an excellent tutorial.

3. Gunslings

Gunslings Member

help it times out when i try to ftp HELP

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Put a static IP into your Xbox and make sure the Gateway is the same as the Xbox. Then FTP it. If you need help I'll post a reply that I posted in another thread, I'll have to find it.

EDIT: HERE
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/688090

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  5. Gunslings

Gunslings Member

i fixed it but thx for help i put it on dchal or the what ever the option was besides static whats some cool apps you would recomnd me to get

6. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

What dashboard are you running?

7. LeoDutch

LeoDutch Member

Can anybody tell why my dvd player doesn't play burned dvd's eventhough i softmodded my xbox. I've tried Unleashed, EvolutionX en now XBMC.

I made an exact copy via the Linux program and made a backup eeprom etc ... but it still doesn't work.

greetz en thnx,

Leo

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Are you using DVD-RW or R? Some Xbox's can't read Rs but can read RWs.

9. LeoDutch

LeoDutch Member

[/quote]
    Are you using DVD-RW or R? Some Xbox's can't read Rs but can read RWs.[/quote]

Ok ... i'm using DVD+R, so i could try to feed it with a DVD+RW. Would exchanging the dvd-player matter or not and if so, can i replace the original with anything else.

Thanx so far !

gr,
    Leo

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

The Xbox drive can't just be replaced. You'll have to replace it with an Xbox drive. There are 3 brands, Samsung, Thompson and Phillips. Each one reads a different model disc. If you were to replace it make sure it reads Rs before you buy it.

What is your current version?
    [​IMG]
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Images/DVDComparison.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  11. LeoDutch

LeoDutch Member

My xbox version is 1.1 and i think i have a Samsung dvd player in my xbox.

gr,
    Leo

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I got a Samsung drive too in mine. Those drives are supposed to read R's but only read RWs.

13. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

Hey I was wondering if you guys could help me out, I followed this guide to the exact word and everything has worked so far except for one thing once I go into the splinter cell game click Linux the click CHECKPOINTS twice the xbox freezes on me.... I read all the posts and I have found nothing that helps. Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out.

Here is where I got the Splinter Cell saves & the other goodies from.

http://rapidshare.com/files/8338270/sid....box-hq.rar.html

I really don't know what to do now. Is it possible that those are not the right files??? If so is there another link that you know of that works flawlessly.

Ok I don't think its' the save files anymore I was hoping that it would be just that easy but I think I might need some serious help LOL :(

I believe my Xbox dashboard got updated without me knowing it... Stupid Microsoft did a patch to fix the Linux crack. There is some hope though if my kernal is less than 5713 then there is a way to convert the box back to D:4920 <--- Xbox Dash board Version.

Do you think this is the problem and if so do you have any guides on how to convert the box back to 4920. OR does the dashboard version not even matter and I'm still over looking something. :( Damn Microsoft!

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Right now is your Xbox a stock system?

See here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595#3246424

Are you sure you followed that step by step? That worked for me and I used MechAssault.

I've modded so much that I can probably do it blindfolded now. Lol.

15. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

Yes my xbox is still in its stock state I'm just confused on what I might be doing wrong. I followed the instructions step by step and nothing has worked I have tried more then three xbox linux installers. Crazy ndures, SID V4.0 , and the Xbin ones that you get off of the IRC chat client and everytime I get to the point of clicking Check Points o n Splinter cell the XBox freezes??? Is this because of the microsoft update fix and if so is there a fix.

16. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I don't know. What is your version? Did you try to use MechAssault? It's some $2 at GameStop if you are in the US.

17. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

I'm guessing your saying my version of Splinter Cell which is Platinum Hits though I kind of see where you are going I'm almost 100% positive that the Platinum Hits Version of Splinter Cell works if you meant my Dashboard I have 5906 I believe that this is somehow the problem because in some tuts you have to have 4920 or older for it to work. And my kernel is older then 5713 so it's possible for me to theoretically roll back my xbox dashboard.

18. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

No, I don't think you can roll back your dashboard version. You might be screwed. Let me read up on your issue a bit more and I'll get back to you. If I don't post a message on the forum, I might have just forgotten to post or lost the link to the thread.

19. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

Okay thanks for the help and hopefully you can dig something up.

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I haven't been able to pull anything up yet. I was actually looking for a list of updates to the dashboard that microsoft has done.

Is there any way for you to get your hands on a MechAssault game? It's $2 or something at Gamestop.