1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Speed and Firmware?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mikej3131, Mar 13, 2006.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

we don't often hear of faked Verbatim's..

as to scans, without undermining anyone else's replies in the thread (haven't read all of it), all you need to know is in the first post here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/193298 which in turn links off to far more detailed info on the cdfreaks website. In my humble opinion there's only so much value in scanning, i personally experimented with scanning back when i raised the thread in my first link i just quoted, but have had no need to really do any scanning (except the odd CRC scan) since. i only ever have to CRC scan something when i get a disc that skips or freezes (i only ever have this happen on crappy discs that i knew were bad and i've know all but eradicated those discs from my collection by re-ripping from originals and reburning to top notch media).

in my experience a disc that skips/freezes is shown to have CRC corruption). i went into rant mode re the inability of burn programs to burn 100% correctly, here -http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/316384#1842008

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I use Verbatim discs and they have the same code as shown in your test, I'm pretty sure mine arent fakes.

3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

What scan is this? Can you explain that to me?

So when i re rip these movis, i should rip from the original store bought movie. is it bad to rip a movie from burned disc, and if ido rip them will the errors on the burned disc show up on my iso file?

Does my new matrix verbatim burn look like a good one? why or why not

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

It's always better to rip the original for a copy of it.

It depends. If that first copy was on crap media/burned too fast/burned too slow/multi-tasked/or on a crappy burner,then yes. Most likely crc errors on that first copy.

Now myself,no problem,but I do make that first copy as error free as possible. Here's my formula for my first backup copy,so I can re-rip it anytime I want,later on down the road:
    1) Quality media
    2) Burned at the speed that gives me fewest errors on my scans
    3) No multi-tasking
    4) Defragged harddrive
    5) Clean registry/no spyware/malware
    6) No paper/sticker labels
    7) Quality benq drives
    8) Quality readers to do the ripping
    9) Main movie only,no compression
    10) 4360 mb burn target.Do not burn to the outer edge of media.

If your first copy was crap,then second copy may not be re-rippable-crc error, or also a duplicate copy of crap, LOL

You'll find out for yourself. Try re-ripping one of your backups,using your normal rip to harddrive and burn. You have to be able to get it onto your hard drive.If major problem/s,then you'll get a crc error. You don't have to go through with the burn.Just try to get them onto your harddrive.If successfully ripped to the harddrive,then you should be ok. If not successful,then something major is wrong.

5. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

hmm some more CRC stuff. Can someone explain to me what this CRC is and how to test it or giveme al link to explain it?

if i multi-task when ripping will it mess up the rip also?

Does a defragged hard drive or clean registry really make a difference in a rip or a burn?

Is clonedvd or nero 7 premium a good reader?

How do i make sure it wont burn to the outside edge of the media, just rip it to 4360 and use a 4.7 gig disc, or does the software have to do with anything?

AND CAN SOMEONE PLEASE COMMENT ON MY MOST RECENT PPOSTED BURN ON THIS THREAD LOL? is it a good one. why or why not?

Thanks guys

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

there should be enough info in mine, saugmon & the other replies in this thread, for you to know everything there is to know about quality scanning and CRC scanning :)

7. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Creaky,

The questions in my last post were not answered in this thread. Please forgive me as i am an amature and want to know every angle so i dont lose my precious video :( .
    can somebody else please take a shot at those questions???

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member