1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what would this overclock to

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ronald57, Jan 4, 2005.

1. ronald57

ronald57 Member

HI peeps am new to this overclocking am just wondering how much my amd athlon 2600 would overclock to my motherboard is a asus A7N8X-X at the moment the temperature on processor is 52

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I can overclock mine to 2.25, my mate can clock his to 2.34 with watercooling! I think that is pretty good for 2.6.

4. Divinus

Divinus Guest

If you had a 2600+M (Mobile) you'd probably get it up closer to 2.8 or 2.9 with good cooling.

5. pulsar

pulsar Active member

So how can a 2.6 be uprated to a 2.9? how is that possible? Do you mean how the system recognises it as a 2.8-2.9. with that little AMD app? If that is the case My mates is recognised as a 3.2 and mine as a 3. I was talking TRUE processor speed. As in general system properties.

6. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I was talking about true processor speed too. My chip right now in sandra is rated at a 3500+ and the estimated performance rating is a 3700+.

The mobile chips pretty much are the gods of Socket A overclocking. They come with a very low wattage rating (except for a few of the tricky 2600s) which allows you to start with a lower voltage at a higher clock speed. For example, my chip's stock speed is somewhere around 1.45V @ 1.8GHz. I have a 700MHz overclocking going and right now I'm stable at 1.7V. Most of the Athlon XPs start somewhere around 1.6V-ish. The Mobiles are obviously meant for laptops so they run at a much lower wattage to create less heat. Someone just figured out you could slap them in a desktop and overclock the hell of out them. They're the perfect overclocking chips, even the multiplier comes unlocked from the factory.

The truth is 2.8 - 2.9 is pushing it. Depending on your chip 2.6 and 2.7 are realistic. Although, I've seen pictures of phase cooled 2600+s getting in the high 3GHz's.

When it comes to overclocking, the Mobiles have a huge advantage over just about any socket a chip produced. If you're an overclocker and still staying in the socket a era, than Mobiles are the way to go.

7. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I added some pictures here for you in Sandra and CPU-Z. They're not much but it shows the real clock speed and rating.

[bold]Edit[/bold]: Uploaded them at image dump as the old host never works, lol. The first is just a CPU-Z pick, 2nd is a Sandra basic CPU shot and the 3rd is the Sandra Arithmetic benchmark.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=189877
    http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=189881
    http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=189883

The only bad thing is my PSU has a problem dishing out this much voltage with such a low wattage rating. I'm not really sure what this chip could do if I had some PC3500 ram and a nice PSU. My problem is this crappy ram just loves to crash on me. Once I get it up to it's rated speed (400MHz) it starts failing memtest like a mofo. I have to start loosening up the timings a lot which is something I really don't want to have to do. Especially if the damn ram is rated at 400MHz. I believe when I bought the 2 Mushkin sticks they were using another company called elixir for parts. I've now read reviews of my memory down the line and those who got the elixir sticks have horrid problems with them. They're almost bad out of the box most of the time. Eh, no telling.

These mobiles really are great though. I only feel bad about buying a 2400+ instead of the 2600+.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2005
  8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Holy crap! that is some clocking in those pics. I am officially impressed! (that very rarely happens BTW!) Divinius, I have learned so much! Nice!. I had no idea about the clocking abilities of the mobiles. If I & my mate had known, we would have got them instead.
    Live & learn I guess!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learned, pulsar, he taught you something & you learned something

10. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Yeah, I've learned so much just from being on these forums for a month or two. I've learned a shit load from ddp's helpful posts. I remember a paticular post where Pulsar had some great info. Everyone here is really very helpful and knowledgeable.

I'd also like to say that you guys should really grab a mobile if you plan on building a socket a system anytime soon. I'm fairly sure AMD doesn't make them anymore and newegg will run out sooner or later. My chip (2400+M) is around $80 or so now. Also, if you do decide to grab a mobile anytime soon, the 2600 comes in a 60 watt version which is NOT what you want. There's also a 45watt which is what you DO want. The 60watt version basically has about the same overclockability as the desktop version and is useless.