1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What you've NOT been told about Blue-Ray!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by GerryH2u, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerryH2u

GerryH2u Member

Thinking about going Blu-Ray? Think again! Consider the “hidden limitations” you are unknowingly buying into, hidden inside the deal.

If you are not familiar with the term "HDCP" you had better brain-up! The “new” HDMI interface must be HDCP compliant, “by Law”. If any piece of equipment (in the entire chain) passes embedded copy-protection signals of any kind, or simply is not HDCP compliant, the signal passing thru will be prohibited and immediately terminated!

Stay with current DVD technology and REJECT any “new” technology, until the recording equipment Industry "get the message" about WHO decides WHAT can or cannot be recorded at home, by consumers.

HDCP (HD Copy-Protection), and HDMI, (as well as Blu-Ray technology (being the greater threat), are being used as primary vehicles by which to force conventional DVD technology 'out', as being “obsolete” – which is a lie. The vacuum left is already set-in-place to be filled with “new” technology, which will contain far more robust and stealthy copy-protection schemes…

If you know anything about 'Hollywood' syndicates – you know that they do not release ‘anything’ that does not $$$pay [their] excessive tariff's - directly into their pockets – first time, every time

2. varnull

varnull Guest

That is sooo.. YES.... tell it like it is and watch 'em squirm.

Buy into this technology and kiss goodbye to home movies that you can send to family and friends..

Buy into buying new and more expensive hardware at the whim of the content makers.

Buy into depriving yourself of your statutory legal rights..

Sounds like something I really want to do...

NOT!!!

3. juankerr

juankerr Member

Does HDCP have any effect on the regular consumer who buys a new HDTV and a new BluRay player?

That's right - none, zip, nada.

Connect your HDCP enabled BluRay player to your HDCP enabled HDTV, put in your BluRay disc, press play and enjoy.

The only people affectd by HDCP are those with older HDTV models with no HDCP connections. These are in the minority. Practically all HDTV displays released in the last couple of years have HDCP enabled connections.

Besides, there's still a way to enjoy 720p/1080i BluRay (or even HD DVD) in your non HDCP display. It's called a component connection.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I thought that was the whole reason for having HDCP compliant displays. If the player sees that you aren't using an HDMI cable, or that it isn't HDCP compliant, then you get a downscaled image through component? I have yet to see this, but I thought that was the whole idea of HDCP and the technology.

5. juankerr

juankerr Member

The thing with both HD DVD and BluRay is that the ICT or Image Constraint Token has not been implemented so the analog component signals are still in high-def 720p or 1080i. Owners of the original non-HDMI XBox 360 and the HD DVD add-on can still watch HD DVD in high-def thru analog connections without HDCP.

All current HD DVD and BluRay players can output 720p or 1080i thru component IF you're playing high-def discs.

SD DVD's will not upconvert on these players thru component though. The HDCP factor is in play for upconverting SD DVD's.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Exactly, so when this does occur, 720p and 1080i will no longer work through component. Flags have to be set on the disc for the signal not to transfer. And when this does happen, all those poor saps will be left in the dark.

7. juankerr

juankerr Member

According to wiki the Hollywood studios have agreed to delay implementing ICT until 2012. I guess they hope by then everyone will have an HDCP compliant display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Constraint_Token

8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Yea, I think that's unfortunate for all the people that bought into the HDTV craze early. But then again, I guess that's one of the risks you take when buying into new technology, eh?

9. juankerr

juankerr Member

Most people who bought the early HDTV models are early adaptors who frequently have the need to upgrade. I'm sure most of these upgrade their displays every 3 to 5 years. They probably started with the early 720p rear-projection models and now are on 1080p flat panels or front projection systems.

I wouldn't feel sorry for them.

10. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

I also find this disturbing. I guess there's no reason to argue about this, but I don't find anything wrong with companies putting in the extra measures to keep people from bootlegging their stuff. I mean, would you want someone breaking into your house or car and taking all your shit? I know I sure as hell don't and a couple guys I caught breaking into my Tahoe once found out the hard way, DON'T STEAL MY SHIT! I can let lots of things slide, but stealing is one of my number one pet peeves. I despise people who steal.

If you own the Blu-ray movie, then you have nothing to worry about. They aren't violating any of your rights. Yea you own the movie and you should be able to make backups, but honestly, how many of you guys out there just make a copy for yourself? I own tons and tons of DVDs and HD DVDs and have probably only had one ever get scratched so bad it wouldn't play. If anyone is to blame for this new BD+ and ICT, it's the people supplying the programs to crack these encryption schemes. They are the real reason people are bootlegging shit and driving the companies to do this.

Kinda like drugs almost. Whats the reason for all these people OD'ing on this shit? I'll tell you, it's these damn pharmaceutical companies making all this crap that we don't need. Take them out at the knees and you will reduce the problem. Prime example is Xanax. Yea, it does wonders for people, but it's also a very very dangerous drug. If people would just get some counseling and stop being such pu**i## by relying on drugs, they could do it without them. Look at where our damn future is heading, GENERATION RX!

Sorry guys, that's just my rant for the day...

11. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

True, I guess what I meant to say is that I feel sorry for the people that bought into it, not knowing what they were doing, and yes they are out there. Not everyone is a tech freak and just buys every new gadget they must get their hands on.

12. juankerr

juankerr Member

The way HDTV prices have been dropping I'm quite sure most of these people have upgraded to an HDCP compliant display by now. You can get a pretty decent 42" flat panel for less than $1000 if you know where to look.

BTW. the OP sounds really familiar. You don't happen to be nobrainer now would you?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  13. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

LOL, right. Especially with all his red lettering. It could also be hughjars - LMAO! I think sometimes, hughjars and nobrainer hang out on the weekends and discuss Blu-ray and DRM propaganda over a beer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  14. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

15. Icanbe

Icanbe Guest

Excatly Goodswipe

When you cut through all the bitching and whining about DRM-this and HDCP-that and on and on and on.
    Does it not all boil down to the simple fact (in most cases) that companies are tired of being ripped every which way but sunday.

If you don't like it , then don't buy it.
    I not here to start anything or be a prick, but good lord this stuff is getting really old.

Peace all

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  16. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hmmm...
    I wonder why people resort to piracy...
    Maybe if all those companies that some of the people feel sooo sorry for, and pitty them sooo much for their "lossses", would be happy with 200% profit instead of 500%, and the prices to the consumer would be close to "reasonable", maybe bootleggin' wouldn't be so rampant. Instead, they invest in gaining monopoly by waging useless format wars, and in "extra" protection features-which lets' be honest, with the use of hardware and/or software will always be bypassed.

17. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Prices? What exactly are you referring to? If you're talking about SD DVD or HD DVD/Blu-ray, then you must be getting scammed. The most I've ever paid for an HD DVD was like 24 bucks. It was a combo disc, so I can see the reason for it being a bit more pricey then the rest. SD DVD are like at an all time low now. You don't have to shop those bargain bins anymore because you can usually find them for fairly cheep.

The extra protection features came about due to piracy, right? Not because they want to spend more money just because. So these big oil companies are seeing billion dollar profits, does that mean we should go to every gas station at night and siphon out all the gas we can - LOL, actually sounds like a good idea to me!

I still think that if we didn't have these companies like SlySoft and others, then there wouldn't be a problem. But that would never happen, due to the people that do use DVD backup programs for legitimate reasons. I dunno, kinda like arguing about race or religion here.

The people that are bootlegging DVDs or whatever else it might be, are just a drag on the economy and need to be hung.

my two cents...

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Hmm...:~) Siphoning all the gas we can at a gas station unfortunately would not hurt the big oil magnats, but the gas station owner that doesn't have to do much with setting the ridiculous oil price!

You are right, it is like arguing about religion, or politics. Don't get me wrong, I do not condone piracy, but there is no way the blame can be put solely on the pirate, and see the corporations as the poor victims.

I was just wondering, what was the purpose of the stupid HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war( and just for the record, I did not get involved in it, do not own either one). Who would've benefit from dual format? I think only the consumer, that's why the consumer was not given that option. Instead they wasted plenty resources in getting monopoly.

I know, there is the "consumer confusion" counter-argument for the dual format, but really, how realistic is that? People had a choice of XBOX, Nintendo, or PS3, they have a choice of Plasma or LCD, they can choose between SD,xD,miniSD,microSD...Apple, Microsoft, Windows, Linux...

As for the people that bootleg DVDs-LOL, I have been seeing too many posts from half-wits with an end product more expensive than the original DVD. And if someone actually copies a DVD for the purpose of selling them, all I can say is, if you find people stupid enough to actually buy a bootlegged DVD, good for you.

As for the prices, "fairly cheap" might have a different meaning for different people.

19. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Couldn't agree with you anymore about this! Well said.

True...

Yea, I had to trade in some lotto tickets yesterday for gas - LMFAO! I hear that people in Cali are paying around 4 bucks a gallon now. I wonder what they are like in Hawaii? Must be like 6 dollars a gallon over there. I went to Hawaii about 5 years ago and gas was about what it is today here.

Update: Highest I found was 4.18 for super.

http://www.hawaiigasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=C

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Gas prices:~)!
    Another debate that I shouldn't get into, LOL!
    Indeed, are high- mostly because in US people have beeen used to buy it for close to nothing. Coming from Europe( about 7-8 years ago), I can tell you that gas prices here are still low.

$4.18/gallon for Super gasoline. However, if compared with the price paid by people at a soda machine, buying a bottle of water(close to $1), and probably need about 8 of those to make 1 gallon, the price of gas comes out rather cheap.

Yes , it is double than it used to be a couple of years ago maybe, and it sucks, especially when driving a monster that eats up 1 gallon in 10 miles. Maybe with the new govt. things will change.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/price.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.