1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHEN MEMBERS FIGHT BACK!!!!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by deezp1, Apr 12, 2005.

1. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

It is needed:
    1. if it wasn't needed, it wouldn't have any responses and so far this one is going pretty strong
    2. It IS in the "SAFTY VALVE" section were pretty much anything goes and people use it to speak out and talk about gripes.
    3. If a n00b, reads this they might make them think twice before the decide to ask a question before doing a search
    4. If a long time Member reads this, it gives them the chance to talk about how to deal with n00bs that ask repetetive questions.

I think a lot of good has come out of this thread, if you don't agree with it or just don't think it should be here, then just don't read it. Nobody is obliagated to read any thread, if you don't, thats fine, if you do, you might learn something.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  2. philipman

philipman Regular member

well put.

3. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Hey fellas, I hope you know I was just fooling around I meant no harm. OK? I do appreciate this forum and you well established members I do believe everyone in here (this thread) has helped me out one time or another. I take it upon myself to insert humor in sometimes hot threads, sorry if it was out of line. Anyway like I said just kiddin' and take care!!! See you were struck with the zen arrow! ---zen-->

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Ok, well I.....you know, don't know what to say. I guess everyone has had their say in it.

Thanks to you all who've backed me up and weren't biased in the opinion. It is a good thing to look at both sides of the arguement and even if you don't agree, you at least here the person out and can conduct yourself in a civilized manner.

As far as you zen, there is nothing wrong with what you said, but 2 things:

1.In your wording, you pretty much singled one particular person out, so it wasn't to no surprise to any of us that you were pretty much targeted right back. It is all about the wording, remember that.

2.If you were joking, none of us could have forseen that. In most of my posts, I put a ;) or a ;P to always indicate that I am joking around. Several members who insult me know that I can insult them back and we all know we are just playing around. But when you throw up exclamation points and so forth, we can't know if you are joking or not. Like I said before, it is all about the wording.

Over the net, you can't read someone's body language nor their expressions, so you have to make sure you word something because you never know if a member/newbie/senior member/addict member or mod might react.

Case in point:

This is taken from Jerry's746 reply to this thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/181485

So, it just goes to show, you definately have to watch how you type things.

;)

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

As for me if I don't like what someone has said, I just don't respond. Or if I feel someone has been unduely rude to someone I just tell the person to ignore what they have read from the rude person. 99% of the people in here want to help 1% tops want to respond rudely. I feel if they are feeling put out so much why even respond just look at another thread. Anyway Venom please believe me I was joking around no offence meant. I will go back and edit my last message, and put a ;) by it !!! oh ya none of those<---- ;) .

6. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

that thread should be title "when really ignorant members fight back"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2005
  8. Decon954

Decon954 Regular member

Just Wanted To Say It's Not Just You Addicts,Senior Members,Members,Junior Members That Hate When Noobies Just Post And Don't Do A Search First, A Lot Of Noobies Do To, But I Guss The Only Thing What Bugs Me More Than When A Noobie Just Post A Thread Is When Then Post A Thread That Breaks The Form Rules Like Can You Tell Me Where To Download Games From, I Hate Sh$t Like That Because Then I Know You Didn't Even Look At The Form Rules When You Singed Up, I Don't Like It When Noobies Just Post First Before Doing A Search But That I Can Handle, But For Double Posting You Should Get Banned For Like A Week Just For Dueing It, Because You Know The Noobie Did Not Read The Form Rules When They Do Dumb Sh$t LIke That, But I Bet If They Got Banned For A Week And There Post Could Not Be Answered They Would Read The Rules Before Posting Again. Just A Noobie Saying All Of Us Have Ask For Help At One Time, And If The First person Who Helped You Just Said DO A SEARCH bumhole A Lot Of Us Would Have Never Come Back To After Dawn, Now I Tell A Lot Of Noobies That They Should Have Done A Search First Before Posting, But Most The Time I Will Help Them Also If I Can, Jizmak Helped Me When I First Came Here And I Know He Has Answered This 100 Times, But I Asked Him What Would Be Better For My Ps2 Slim Line R+ Or R-, Now Granted I Did Do I Search First I Just Wanted His Opinion On It, And He Said Welcome To The Forms you Should Try R+ Verbatim They Are Good For Burned Games And The R+ Should Work Good For Your Ps2 Slim Line, And I For One Am Glade He Didn't Just Say Do A Search, Because I Had Already Did That And Just Was Not Sure Of What To Use, Since Then I Have Read A Lot Of Post Just To See What Jizmak,Hursty, And Alot Of you Outthere Are saying, And I Love To Learn From And Help After Dawn Members. Just Wanted To Tell you My 2 Cents. (FOCKER OUT)

9. Trom

Trom Regular member

I've been hanging out on the net for a good many years now and esp in the last year or so I have given up on some sites because of what is now called "vigilantism". In fact on one or two particular sites its worse than a repeated question or a failure to do a search for an oft asked question. Every second thread is a tirade of abuse against a noob who faultered. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. At least at AD the issue is being addressed before it gets out of hand. If noob's are to remember there is a search button others should remember there is a "report this post to a mod" button.

10. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I guess the one good thing about aD is that everyone here IS trying to help and are just a little hard on the noobs in order to keep this place as clean and easy as possible.

11. FartDude

FartDude Guest

I always try and help anyone here that needs it when i'm around, But still it is annoying when u get n00bs posting dumb messages like I NEED HELP!! or "thx for the overwhelming response" (when no one replies to their thread). And the n00b bashing comes in , i admit im a bit guilty of this myself, but i never intended to offend anyone like some other post i've read in the past few months,

Some Examples

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/148004

This one probably stands out the most

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/140706

Here in this one it clearly shows that members dont always bash the n00bs. If i remember correctly it was some of the n00bies at the time that jumped in and helped me out.

12. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Here's my favorite recent example of a man who taught himself to fish (against his will apparently).
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/192166

No one purposely ignored him. In the short time it took for the post to get buried, he overcame his allergy to research!!

I try to get involved when people have a language barrier, or they obviously aren't expressing what they want correctly to get the answer they need. AND if they have obviously tried to help themselves first.

Personally, as a newbie I was thankful when someone pointed out a guide or a FAQ. This forum is a darned busy place and it's easy to miss important stuff (when you are blinded by frustation, kids climbing the back of your chair, and bedtime looming).

Picking newbies to help is sometimes reminiscent of choosing which shipwreck victims to help - you can only help the ones that will try to help themselves and don't panic and try to take you down with them!

That said, the hardest thing for us to remember is not everyone is as passionate, driven, or confident (for whatever reasons, hehe) as most of us.

All in all, I think most everyone handles newbies with respect and a sense of humor. Two things I find key in life.

My .02 worth

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've been guilty of posting 'search the forum' replies in my short time here, cus i'm an advocate of googling and self-teaching (did it myself to change career in IT and wouldn't want to do that again; however i'm becoming too disillusioned with staff who will trample over you to secure their own promotions so i guess i'll end up retraining again!);
    anyway i digress, also i don't like regurgitating huge long replies, partly as there are always gonna be noobs who won't go on to become computer nerds as they just pop by for a solution to their problem. Which is fine, i guess it's the ppl who seem to post eternally with no searching of their own that annoys me. Sometimes these types need a little coaching to break them from their ways as it just encourages laziness down the line and clutters up the forums. Funnily enough i don't see as much of this on the Unix (boring i know!) forums i frequent, i guess it's cus PCs are so easy to maintain/easily accessible and more 'mainstream'.

Just my five pence

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  14. rx29

rx29 Member

Hi! I have always thought afterdawn members to be very nice compared to others. I read the guides and try to research. However, life is stressful on this side and I have moments of panic,stupidness and ask dull questions. Pardon the description,but life sometimes seems like I am out there, attempting to function,in the middle of a warzone. Sometimes I do it sometimes I don't. So When people ask silly questions and seem heedless,maybe they are lazy and self-centered, or perhaps,they are panicked.
    bye,end of rant

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Everyone at some time has a bad day. Most of us on here try to understand that. But you will still find members that can't see that and jump people for the slightest reason. Keep in mind most of us are NOT like that.

Jerry

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

but watch out for those mods as they have a hair trigger temper!!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  17. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Take that back or you're getting banned!

What?

18. rap4life

rap4life Guest

all mods are cool with me i think their cool and nice very nice

19. andmerr

andmerr Guest

20. Phyco_Can

Phyco_Can Guest

well guys althogh us noobs may be annoying
    first of all many of oyu guys were also noobs at once

seond and most of all if you think about it noobs help this site alot because if there were not so many noobs asking the same questions there would not be so many afterdawnaddicts or senior members and with none of those ppl will not rank up to moderators