1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

Hi Guys..I have a problem with my Graphics card and hope you can help?

I recently installed a xfx ati radeon 5770 into a computer with an ASUS 1366 P6X58D-E mobo.

The problem is whenever I try to play a game the computer just shuts off and goes to a blue screen in about five mins. (the dreaded BSOD). I have win 7 64bit. I have all of the updated drivers that ati provide and recently updated the BIOS to see if that was the problem but to no avail. I believe that it could be a overheating problem but I am not sure. What is causing the BSOD? Look at the signature for the rest of the specs if that would help?

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's not a clean install of windows, try that. If still no luck, try a different card (preferably an identical one), if not, change the motherboard.

4. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

I recently built this one from the ground up. I was looking at compatible GPU's for the mobo and I guess that I have bought the wrong brand. On the asus website it says that the motherboard can only handle asus brand ati cards. Am I missing something?

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That's also a crock of $hit! They just want you to buy their brand. Unless I'm missing something...
    I suppose there's a slight chance they went to great lengths to insure that only their cards would be compatible. But somehow I doubt that ;) If its a clean install of windows, you've likely got a bad piece of hardware. That or a sound driver is corrupting it somehow? Seems like of heard of select few cases.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not the case at all, they'll just say that to try and force you to buy their cards. I'm no fan of Asus motherboards because they tend to be pretty poorly made, but I've not heard of any incompatibility problems with recent cards on their new boards.

7. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

I uninstalled all of the drivers to do with the card and then went to the support part of their website and downloaded an all new ati catalyst. It seems to have installed flawlessly.

I also uninstalled the game that was causing the blue screen and then am in the middle of re-installing it. I will let you kno how it goes. Regards.

8. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

I can only guess after re-installing everything it is an overheating problem. The game works now past the point of the blue screen (the start of the game) but after playing for about 20 mins the fan goes on on the graphics card and then the screen goes black.

How can I combat the overheating problem tho? It already has a big cooler on it. Would moving it to another PCI-e slot make better air-flow inside the case?

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

ATI Catalyst has an option to control certain elements of your GPU. I have never used it, and I presume your GPU's fan would be running at near 100% when playing that game under stress anyway, but you could manually set the fan speed when you play to be sure.

What do you mean the fan "goes" - stops working?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think he means the fan speed rises to 100% when the screen goes black, which is typical of a GPU overheat, or a PCI Express link being severed. The latter is more rare and is usually the motherboard, I've only seen it happen with dual graphics.

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

try furmark. If that can't even stand 15mins the card is at fault. Pcie link severed? As in phyically?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Electronically. If the PCIe link fails when the card is active, it will re-enter POST state, which for most cards, is the short burst of 100% fan speed you get when you first turn the PC on.
    This was an issue I had with both my X38-DS4 and X48-DS5 if two cards were connected, the screen would go to standby, and the cards would re-enter POST state (more obvious with a 4870X2 as the POST state includes two different fan speeds, and it also has a PCIe link LED on the board, probably due to it being an engineering sample)

13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Perhaps his CPU is overheating instead (or as well)? My GPU never gets above mid 40s playing games like Dragon Age/Starcraft 2, but I had a few issues until I replaced the stock cooler on my i5.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

CPU overheat wouldn't cause the GPU fan speed to rise though, it would just make the PC run slow if throttling occurred, and in worst case scenario, the PC will just shut down.

15. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

The fan goes and full speed and then the screen goes blank.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow. Some pretty valuable information for the graphics thread :p

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

especially being off topic.

18. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

I now used the provided ati catalyst and ran a auto test to see what it would do for the graphics card and now my computer is dead. When I power it on the LED at the front comes on for a second and then the computer shuts off. I took out the GPU and still no power.

Any ideas how to fix?

19. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

turn of your PSU, power the PC up with the PSU turned off. wait a min and try turning it on again (this time with the PSU turned on)

20. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

Tried that and it wont turn on. I unplugged it completely and then plugged it in again and nothing.