1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Antivirus?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by JasonSeo, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Wow, thanks. o.o

I've used Trend Micro's free scan before and I really liked it. At the same time, having only one program for everything sounds great too...I remember at one point having Norton and like four programs for spyware...very slow.

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

After reading the post before mine I thought I'd add in that even if you have a "all-in-one" software package not any one singular program can catch everything. That is why it is good to have a couple anti-spyware applications installed. And using a internet browser other than Internet Explorer also will help with the virus issues. For browsers both FireFox and Opera are free and excellent alternatives.

3. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I use and love Firefox. I'm using IE right now 'cause all I have installed for the time being is Windows (everything else comes tomorrow), but I'll definitely be switching back to Firefox.

I'm glad aabbccdd commented on Norton not touching my new machine, also, as this was a thought. I think I'm gonna go with Trend Micro, and maybe try some of the other programs listed here. I've used Trend Micro from their website before, and I liked it. I've also got a few friends who use it, and swear by it.

My main concern is speed. I do alot of gaming, and in the past I've had many games run very slowly. At one point I had Norton, Ad-Aware, something like "Spy Doctor"(don't remember) and another program all installed, and my system was remarkably slow...I was almost concerned.
    If I'm trying to preserve speed, what would you all recommend I use? Keeping in mind, I'll probably be using Trend Micro and its anti-spyware component. Will these two be enough for me to be well protected, or would I be better off running another program or two as well?

Thanks again for the help, all.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Like i said before no matter how good 1 product is it never can catch everything. Therefore for anti-spyware I would recommend a-squared (very good at detecting potential rootkits/trojans),Ad-Aware, & Spybot-Search And Destroy. Ewido Anti-malware is a good tool to have also. And i would assume that the reason your pc was running slow before was either low system specs or more likely Norton sucking up too many resources. And since now of the apps I mentioned have processes runnign on your pc 24-7 you should be good to go.

5. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Alright, thanks.

I don't know much about specs, but...

I've got 2GB of RAM, 3.2GHz processor thing, Pentium IV, and...well, that's all I really know of that'd affect speed I guess...I'm using an ATI X850 Pro video card, 256MB.

I dunno if that explains much, but I'll look into some of these programs, thanks again~

6. FartDude

FartDude Guest

7. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Pangy, the Trend Micro anti-virus and spyware program should do you fine. as said norton uses way to many resources and can cause slow down problems.Trend Micro doesn't. the other programs i mentioned ("Ewido" "Windows Defender" "hjt" "CCleaner" and "EasyCleaner" aren't real time apps and WILL NOT slow down your machine. so it wont hurt to have them loaded on you PC at all. i run my spyware program and CCleaner right before i shut my machine down everynight

the all in one program that lxfactor mentioned i don't recomend at all the "Trend Micro" products are leaps and bounds better than zone alarm

8. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

"Not real time programs" means that they don't run 24/7 like Norton/anti-virus programs would, right? (I'm guessing, here).

If that's the case, I understand, and that actually sounds really cool, and useful to me. This seems to be exactly what I was looking for when I made my first post in this thread.

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

That is correct, when you need to use them just open the app. run it then close it out. there not using any resources at all

Pangy, i promise that will be more than happy with the "Trend Micro" products !!

keep in mind the Trend Micro virus scan program and the spyware program ARE real time but dont use near the resourses that norton required at all !!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  10. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Yeah, I have yet to meet a Trend Micro user who [bold]isn't[/bold] happy with them. It's sort of the reverse for Norton. No one likes them. ._.

I wish I had more problems, heh, I keep trying to find an excuse to post here more, but every time something's wrong, you guys get it fixed/answered for me before I even have time to make it worse (no time at all).

Thanks again, all. ^-^b

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

[bold] great let us know how it works out in a few weeks after you get used to the programs [/bold]

12. glitchzoo

glitchzoo Regular member

hey why dont you use a demo of somthink like norton antivirus est *edit by Jannejt*
    time to make afterdawn bleed again :p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  13. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I'm not sure what you mean, I'm kinda computer_lingo=null lol.

I've got Norton 2005 and 2006 bought and paid for, I'm just trying to get away from them.

Again, not really sure what you mean (if you were even talking to me) >.<;

14. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

Edit: Had a problem. Problem is solved.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

glitchzoo, we dont talk cracked keycodes in here so edit that . he DOESNT want norton anyway

16. Jannejt

Jannejt Moderator Staff Member

glitchzoo, NO crack discussion, you're member, you should read the rules, but whatever, read the rules again.

*crack discussion ends now*

17. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I have reinstalled and I'm starting to install some of the programs I had before.

I'm happy with Trend Micro so far, PC's running nice and smooth, but there are a few things I'm confused about.

My keboard seems to be reading as a french keyboard. When I try to type an apostraphe, I get "รจ". I can't make question marks, and, well, it's very frustrating. If anyone's got a solution (it's probably something stupidly easy...) please let me know.

I also have no sound, but I'm thinking it's because I screwed up something on the outside, so I'll leave this one out for now (my PC seems to play files fine and it recognizes the sound card and everything, just no sound from the speakers).

18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

As for the keyboard issue I am pretty certain that that is a option selected during Windows install. Im sure you can change it but dont have time to find that option. For your sound problem see this thread it may help http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/374291

19. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

The keyboard was in fact the installation thing. The mistake was made when installing the language packs.

The sound was actually caused by a headphone jack in the card...before the reinstallation, it didn't matter, but now that everything's fresh and clean again, it was interfering.

Thanks again, all. I'm out for now.

20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I found avast just as bloated if not more so than norton,especially when it came to surfing it tended to slow the loading of web pages which norton did'nt,ended up putting avg in instead and i like it,as for firewall zone alarm free is the way to go,mainly coz of the padlocks...lol...you can temporally halt incomming and outgoing or both if need be,windows firewall is excellant tho it does'nt have the same fucntions as ZA,just make sure you have all the updates from microsoft,and have at least one real time scanner for spyware,your system is fast so it can handle many proceeses without noticable slowdown,when gaming just disable unnecessary processes,if you find speed is a prob

EDIT: Sweet penacilin it is then :p

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006