1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which pvr is best to buy

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by barking, Aug 17, 2008.

1. barking

barking Guest

Hi all, I am very interested in buying a pvr. Can anyone suggest which type is the best and one where I don't have to install a hard drive as I don't think I would manage that. So what I am looking for is a pvr with hard drive installed and an approx price. Thanks to all those of you who may be able to help.

2. noelyf

noelyf Regular member

Have a look at Sc0users post here (probably the cheapest price around) >> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/692677/4213165

(eurov0x PVR)

3. barking

barking Guest

Thanks a million for that. Do you know much about The Box pvr as I am fairly clued in to these boxes. But I would need one with the hard drive pre installed. I have The Box at the moment and was hoping to change to the pvr version. And thanks a million for your help so far.

4. noelyf

noelyf Regular member

I`m not up to scratch on the pvr`s but someone should be able to help you out on the forum (when all the football is over lol).

5. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

@barking
    I have the Starview PVR and very pleased with it. AFAIK the PVR comes without a H/Disc unless otherwise advertised but if you are not confident enough to fit one yourself ask the seller to fit one for you, or a friend, its as easy as fitting one into a PC, in fact easier. (4x screws, 1x ribbon cable, 1x 4 pin power plug)
    Feel free to ask questions on the SV PVR, it has twin tuners to be able to record two channels at the same time but when recording two different channels you can only watch & move between the two channels being recorded. If only recording one channel you can move to any other channel to view or record. Preset timer works from the EPG menu. Files can be copied from the SV's H/Disc to the PC via USB.
    jbvid

6. jlong00

jlong00 Member

i sent back the box pvr twin tuner,its epg gave no info,on the channels,hows the epg on yours.also the hard drive used to go on and off,ie,sometimes work.i bought it from iwantabox.have you had any of those problems.

7. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    No, mines fine.
    jbvid

8. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

I would be getting a linux based box, I don't think it is worth the risk to get anything else with nagra 2 on the way.

I am thinking of getting an abcom 900HD has HDMI and component and decodes HD channels and upscales normal ones.

There are no HD channels out at the moment in Ireland but there should be next year. I am just future proofing it, but also the upscaling and HDMI mean the pic is way better, worth paying a bit extra if you have a decent TV.

Does anybody know if non-linux boxes are working in countries where they have already switched to nagra 2?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  9. jlong00

jlong00 Member

Thanks for getting back.when pre-recording,how many days ahead can you record,a program,is it 3 or 7 days.

10. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Daily on the EPG timer thats as far as the EPG goes and weekly on the User setup timer.
    jbvid

11. jlong00

jlong00 Member

thanks jbvid