1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does shrinking and burning take me so long!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Robest, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Robest

Robest Member

I am currently using dvdshrink 3.2 and nero express to make dvds. That isnt my problem my problem is that the entire process takes me way longer than it should. My friend has almost an identical computer to mine and he can shrink in about 20 mins and burn in about 8, while it takes me atleast 50 mins for each of those stages. Am I doing something wrong or are there settings i can change? I dont have any of the quality settings checked in dvd shrink and my dvd drive is 16x and I'm using 8x dvds. I have a pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 160 gig HD its pretty full but I dont know if that would be the reason, 512 RAM and my dvd drive is LG DVD-RW 16x. If anyone has a solution or suggestion please post it. Thanks for any help.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

3. Robest

Robest Member

Thanks I just tried that just now and my settings were already at DMA any other suggestions?

4. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

You know, I had the same problem but that didn't work because all my settings were set to DMA. The thing that was the problem was the non microsoft programs running in the background. Going in the msconfig menu, disabling all non mircrosoft programs and then enabling (if you want) usually gets the job done. If it doesn't work, disable the non microsoft programs, restart the computer, and then enable again, and then restart again.

5. Robest

Robest Member

I just did that now too, im not sure if it worked cuz dvd shrink did a crc error on the dvd im trying, but i used cecryptor and it only took 25 mins thats fine with me.

Only other problem now is burn time, its supposed to take like 8 mins accordinmg to my nero express but it normally takes 40-60 mins and ive now found out that decryptors burn takes just as long any suggestions to speed up burn time?

6. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

Edit. 8 minutes is if your are burning at 8x. Nero has a tool to check out your DVDs speed.

Check your BOIS drive configuration to see if DMA is really enabled. If you are using your burner to read the disc it may be limited to 4x, use a ROM if you have one. The normal processes running at startup should not affect performance enough to notice. Check for firmware updates on the LG.
    How full is the HD. You should have something like 10-15 GB free.

Also in the future you may want to increase your virtual memory.
    >Control Panel - Performance and Maintained - System (Properties) - Advanced tab > under Performance click on the Settings tab > click on the Advanced tab > under Virtual Memory click on Change. Select Custom Size and use 1500 to 3072 MB max.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  7. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Yeah, just eas droppin' in here my virtual memory was low compared to what you suggested. I changed mine to what you recommended. Mine was at around 350 to 520. What differences or ill affects could I expect?

8. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

You should not see any difference. Some times you will need the memory space, it is setup just in case it is needed. Since you should not be running anything else w/Shrink the amount of memory you set up will nor effect anthing else.

9. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thank you for your response, was it even nessisary to change it then?

10. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

It will be for some movies.

11. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Thanks for the info, much appreciated, ---zen-->