1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WINDOWS ON MAC-DVD

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by jsydiver, Mar 22, 2004.

1. jsydiver

jsydiver Member

Hi, have just swapped to Mac after many years on Windows/MS. Bought a powerbook G4 and am well impressed thus far, save for finding old faves not available on Mac OS x, namely nero and Dvd shrink which I used with ease and without problem for a long time.
    My question is this, I see Office V x comes with windows compatability software, at the risk of sounding thick, does this mean I can use any software intended for a microsoft OS on my Mac?

2. oquela

oquela Member

jsydiver,
    Certain programs (like Virtual PC) allow you to run Windows 98SE, 2000, or even XP on your Mac, by emulating the hardware found in PCs. Looks exactly the same, and basic PC software works. Anything like games, and processor-intensive programs slows down your maching or doesn't work altogether. They will do in a pinch. I think the "windows compatability software" is a tool that allows files to go back and forth between a Mac and PC seamlessly, but not applications.

Now, other software similiar to nero/shrink is available for mac. To rip, use dvdbackup or Osex (both for OS X) To compress, there are at least 2 programs (50-100 dollars) that will compress/convert a DVD-9 (8+ gig disks) to DVD-R or +R. The better known program is dvd2oneX. works well. To burn, you need at least Toast 5.

Hope this helps.