1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Service pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by kiwi1, May 14, 2008.

1. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Hi, I've put together a new computer and installed XP with service pack 2 and all the updates. Now microsoft update is telling me I need to install service pack 3 and calling it a 'high priority' critical update. I've never been asked to install service pack 3 before with any other computer. Do I really need it? What exactly has changed?

2. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

yes you really need it.

The reason all updates including internet explorer 8 which will be out by the end of the year will require service pack 3 and the speed boost on some machines is nice as well.

All service pack 3 contains is all the new security updates and fixes this is worth the download even better service pack 3 converts all versions of windows xp to professional status.

3. canuckerz

canuckerz Regular member

My question is did they interlace drm all through it?

4. varnull

varnull Guest

You need it like you need a hole in your ass.. it helps some machines with broken registrys.. but you may do better keeping your s--- to yourself. It phones home.

It breaks hundreds of applications and brings a heap of hated vista drm to XP.

The only people who may need it are serious gamers, and they should know better... WHO THE HELL RUNS INTERNET EXPLORER ONLINE ANYWAY??? I thought all but total n00bs ran firefox or safari or opera.

Better still, ditch M$ completely and look at free stable secure alternatives.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  5. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

If I could run all my games on linux I'd never look back.

So this is being pushed on everyone then? I thought it had something to do with the new hardware I'm using now.
    Stepping stone to vista maybe? No thanks.

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I love -varnull- creative thinking, hehe.

7. navskin

navskin Regular member

go on varnull you are right about ditching ms. you help me get a long with linux fine with out MS.

8. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

service pak 3 isnt out yet you must have a junk copy their still testing it it wont be released til mid july.

9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

wrong. sp3 is out, since the 6th. it's available via windows update or the microsoft site.

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

It only contains all previous updates SP1,SP2 etc,there's a few bug fixes as well as giving you a small gain in speed on launching apps,for the most part it's aimed at admins with the extra's that were supplied with it for networking etc.

I personally would'nt waste my time installing it as it's not a major release like SP2 was,if your comps buggy you more than likley will find it will break it so my advice if you choose to install make sure you have a backup drive,you can use ghost or acronis,also it's necessary to delete IE7 before installing if you think you'll ever need to do a rollback to IE6,failing to remove IE7 will prevent any such roll back occuring

11. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

Ok if you say so I work for microsoft it will not be out til july the only one thats out is the testing service pak3

12. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

SP3 is out. I downloaded it directly from the Microsoft update pages.

I have NOT installed it as of yet. Am waiting for more feedback to make a decision. So far, I have seen posts on the internet about it causing problems for people running HP desktops with AMD processors. Just run a search on XP SP3 problems to see what turns up will show this to you. Supposedly MS is working on a fix according to the posts I have seen.

I would be VERY careful in any decision to install this SP until more data is available and bugs are worked out!!

13. aldan

aldan Active member

its definitely out.downloaded it from ms update,installed and yes quite a speed gain launching apps.no troubles so far.i tried the beta version tho and had to uninstall it as my comp was doing all sorts of weird things.didnt know about uninstalling ie7 tho.

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

16. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Yes, IE7 is installed on my system. However, I routinely use Firefox for browsing, not IE7. Since I would have NO need to go back to IE6, am I correct to understand it makes no difference to me regarding the uninstall of IE7 before installing SP3 (if I do decide to install it)?

17. kiwi1

kiwi1 Regular member

Ha Ha nice one ddp. I work for a welding company and I could have answered that!
    I assure everyone it's there and it's not beta. It doesnt download with the automatic updates but if you manually connect to ms update it will come up as 'high priority'

I assumed sp3 had been around for a while, dont know where I got that idea.

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You are correct i.e no diff

@ kiwi
    It's been around for more than 6 months as a beta & was released early this year as final build but was removed due to breakages of computers, then re-released early last month,by all accounts it's still not right,i had to do a recovery for a mate who installed it on his hp last week,oddly enough i tried it while it was in beta last year & it installed & ran ok on my hp it also deleted ok as well,i also tried the beta version of IE8 out at around the same time.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  19. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

I would like to know if I do a system restore before I install sp3 will I be able to use the system restore too go back.

This might seem like a lame question but I am worried that if Iinstall this I will not be able too go back if it don't work.

20. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Personally my attitude towards system no restore is a waste of disk space & your better off with using either ghost or acronis to create either a backup image file or a complete image of the drive by cloning to a second hdd.

As for attempting to use system restore it's pretty much 50/50 if it will work that's assuming that SP3 does'nt break your system & cause endless reboots,in which case safe mode will be unaccessable & either a xp disk will be needed to execute a repair or if a branded model you'll have to use the built in recovery options,there's no real reason to install SP3 until the bugs are worked out as it's not a critical update if you already have SP1 & SP2 installed.

Microsoft,hp,dell etc are working on a bug fix,if however you decide to take the plunge,backup important data,email & contacts etc first,there's also info at microsoft of how to prepare for SP3 install

Summary:
    It'd be best to read the white paper of what SP3 contains,you'll find it's more or less SP1 & SP2 combined so to speak