1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX XBMC Home Theater...?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by tommyd13, Dec 30, 2008.

1. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Anyone ever see a USB cable with these wire colors?:
    Green, Red, Brown, Yellow

Gave up searching. Finally found a very cheapo $3-5 meter and ohmed the pins. USB FEMALE PINOUT(pins facing up, white piece at base,L->R):
    1-Red, 2-Brn, 3-Yel, 4-Grn

Oddest USB I've seen!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Would'nt matter what colour they were so long as they go to the right connectors @ each end,if it's any consolation i have rca's cables that are'nt the normal colour :p

3. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Tried my old PNY Attache' 256MB Flash drive, but realiized it was on the "incompatible list" afterward. I cleaned the snow off the truck and went to circuit city for a ScanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB. The problem is, I plugged it in as soon as I took it out of the package, but it tells me it's damaged as well. Any idea what I need to do to get it to work?

DOH-forget the part in the parenthesis:
    SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB Flash (reformatted with gparted with 3 partitions; 512MB FAT32, 3GB EXT3, 384MB SWAP)

The cruzer micro on the compatible list was a 256. I figured this would work as well. My GF has a Sandisk Cruzer 2GB, but the list on our USB softmod link says it wont work, but the WIKI list says yes...?!
    And this link says it's compatible, although maybe because I have a micro:
    http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-hardmod/89814-usb-devices-compatible-xbmc.html
    There must be a how-to on formatting some of these....?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Trying to use GParted to partition the USB. I dowloaded it here:
    http://www.download.com/GParted-LiveCD/3000-2094_4-10698802.html?tag=mncol
    and used IZArc to extract, but I'm not sure what to extract where or what to click on to actually run the program? Or, do I just put it on a cd and stick it back into my pc?

EDIT:found another drive that may just work. I'm stuck at the part of copying the game saves to AR. Says one is not "a valid game save".

My truck died on the way to a friends bday party so I'm gonna go look at that now that it's not snowing....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  5. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

I've been trying to use the USB flash drive for the mod, but having no luck. Check here for my current status(on p8 i believe):

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/8/578329#4513122

Creaky-any thoughts on using the reg memory card in a controller hooked to the pc...?

EDIT-ok CREAKY, I just soldered the usb end to the xbox controller and plugged it in to the pc-no luck. Looks like I need a program to make that work. However, I think there is a way to put the files I'm trying to save onto an XBOX memory card from a modded xbox. If that's possible, could I send you one and ask you to save them to it for me?
    PM me if interested and we can work something out.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  6. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Used XBOX controller with memory unit and it worked like a charm! =) Now to install XBMC Dash

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Nice one. Easy when you know how :)

Here's the best place to get AID from - http://www.aidtracker.com - there's a healthy amount of seeds & peers so it shouldn't take too long.
    I was happy enough with the XBMC provided by AID 4.30 but i recently got hold of 4.40 so rolled out the new XBMC (Atlantis) across all my machines. There's also Atlantis via Windows too, very impressed with it so far, both on xbox and Windows - http://xbmc.org/download/ - it takes all of 2 minutes to install and the only thing i've had to configure is the default region ie UK, the Weather page and an SMB network source.

I often check back at the aidtracker site as they tend to retire the older versions after a while.

You can get bleeding edge versions of XBMC by T3CH but i didn't have any luck with the last one i tried by them, plus i prefer to have stuff that's stable as opposed to bleeding edge, i think they release a new version every week or so. I like to actually use XBMC as opposed to spending my time installing never ending versions :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  8. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

I currently have xbox with a 320 gig hard drive installed with xbmc and bunch of NES roms installed.

Hooking up Xbox with xbmc to HDTV with component cables is the best decision I have ever made. Storing movies on the HD is much less expensive and saves energy when playing movies.

If you want a badass skin, go to www.aeoncentral.com. It is an awesome front end for xbmc.

9. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

I got AID installed, but I have to figure out what each program does before I decide what all I'm going to install. I also have to put the TB drive in. I just haven't had a moment to do so in all this time.
    I also want to figure out how to link it to with IMDB or something like the Collectorz program.
    In time, in time....