1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBuyer's Guide for the Confused and the DS NewcomerZ

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by XbusterZ, Feb 11, 2007.

1. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

XBuyer's Guide for the Confused and the DS NewcomerZ vers. 20.xX

i'm doing this guide for obvious reasons, suggesting what to buy.
    i happen to do it a lot on this here forum. actually, i started out [like many others] asking what they suggested i buy. i must add that i will be biased towards m3 products because that's all i currently own and i have yet to see fault with them. i use windows too, wanna fight about it? m3 products seem reliabe and are highly recommended by most sites/random people(gotta slightly trust random people). also, i have little to absolutely no experience with other brands (my friend has a supercard!). i will not cover the max media dock unless someone can give me a good reason to do otherwise. in short: don't bother.

IMPORTANT NOTE:***SUPPORT (NINTENDO) IF YOU WANT MORE EXCLUSIVES SUCH AS DRAGONQUEST, MAPLE STORY, AND FINAL FANTASY (SERIOUSLY XD). ENJOY YOUR DS!!!***

now onto the guide.

pre-note: when i say "continue to PART-XZ" for example. press ctrl+f and type in "PART-XZ" to find it quickly in the guide.

>you must first ask yourself some basic questions. the first set will be designed to see if you want a slot-1 device, a slot-2 device [maybe with passme], or sometimes, both slot devices [....or neither nor, you'll see].

1. do you want to be able to play GBA backups and/or homebrew?

2. do you want to be able to play NDS backups and/or homebrew?

if you answered yes to the first and second question, continue to [ PART-A ].
    if you answered yes to the first question and no to the second question, continue to [ PART-B ].
    if you answered no to the first question and yes to the second question, continue to [ PART-C ].
    if you answered no to both questions, continue to click the [ back button ].

[ PART-A ]

"twice the fun on twice the average number of screens of most consoles. that's like... 4!!!!!!!"

>you now have some more questions to answer to:

1. do you want an affordable way of getting both gba and nds backups/homebrew on your ds?

-OR-

2. do you want to pimp out your ds and put as much money needed (not tooo much) torwards this goal to get the absolute most out of it at the moment?

if you answered yes to question 1, continue to [ PART-A1 ].
    if you answered yes to question 2, continue to [ PART-A2 ].

[ PART-A1 ]

what you are looking for is a slot-2 device and a passme card*. slot-2 devices go into the bottom of your ds(where a gba game-cartridge would). you have many options as far as these go. for the sake of reliability and performance, you should get the latest model of something with the name 'supercard', 'ez flash', 'g6', or 'm3 perfect'** attached when searching for a slot-2 device. as far as passme's go, the only one i'm familiar with is the passcard3 and superkey. as long as the passme is compatible with your ds version (original, lite, or both) it should be fine. with these slot-2 devices you will also need some kind of external memory***. which is usually sd (secure digital) or cf (compact flash).
    *note: i will not discuss flashing for now. this makes passmes obsolete, if you have one in the first place.
    **note: m3 pro series will NOT run most gba backups.
    ***note: the g6 lite has internal memory of 512 megabytes(MB) (4 gigabits(Gb); 8bits(b)=1Byte(B)), it can not be expanded upon.

******note:recently, the ezflash v: 3 in 1 has been released, it is a compliment to the ezflash v [a slot-1 device] but some programmer(s) out there have made it compatible with other slot-1 devices. it has the capability to run gba backups [downloaded from slot-1; it can not take external memory and always needs a slot-1 device to download from], it can be used for rumble [with 3 settings], and it can be used as the ram expansion pack for the ds browser [with a patch done to the browser backup].

-Recommendations:
    original ds: m3 minisd perfect and passcard3. takes minisd.
    ds lite: m3 lite perfect and passcard3. takes microsd.
    told ya i'd be biased towards m3.

now check out [ RECOMMENDED-HOMEBREW ]

[ PART-A2 ]

you have chosen to pimp out your ds. congratulations! this set up requires a slot-2 device and a slot-1 device. for the sake of reliability and performance, you should get the latest model of something with the name 'supercard', 'ez flash', 'g6'*, or 'm3 perfect'** attached when searching for a slot-2 device. slot one devices go into the top slot on the ds and are usually the size of a NDS cartridge. the options for slot-1 devices include, but are not limited to: the r4-revolution for the ds, supercard ds, ds-xtreme, or m3 ds simply. there are other slot-1 devices, but they may be unreliable and/or ill-supported. both the slot-1 and slot-2 devices need some kind of external storage. slot-2 devices either use sd (secure digital) or cf (compact flash). to my knowledge slot-1 devices only use microsd or have internal memory.
    *note: the g6 lite has internal memory of 512 megabytes(MB) (4 gigabits(Gb); 8bits(b)=1Byte(B)), it can not be expanded upon.
    *random* note: with this set up you can browse the internet using the ds browser backup and a patch, as long as you get either an m3 perfect slot-2 device or supercard slot-2 device (non-rumble). no more switching out for the ram expansion pack (sell it on eBay; well, i traded mine for some stuff ^_^).
    *random* note 2: the slot-1's devices aren't quite up-to-date yet with full homebrew compliance. check here for a bunch of details on the m3 ds simply and its compatibility (applies for r4 as well). good thing you have a slot-2 device >_^!

-Recommendations:
    original ds and ds lite:
    m3 lite perfect and:
    m3 ds simply -OR- r4-revolution for the ds(i'm torn since they're clone-like). all take microsd.
    ^recommended for both original ds model and ds lite. why? because the m3 lite perfect (for me anyways) comes with a GBA cart-sized shell that would fit in the original sized ds and because both devices take microsd. *convenience*

[ PART-B ]

"GBA is great!!!!!! it's like the original game boy, but advanced!!! or the gameboy pocket, but advanced!!! or the gameboy color, but without *#%&in ugly colors!!!"

your options are simple and you obviously appreciate a great system with a great game library. you will need a slot-2 device. yes slot-2 devices can be made to play gba only. it does NOT need a passme to operate in standard gba-mode. you have many options as far as slot-2's go. for the sake of reliability and performance, you should get the latest model of something with the name 'supercard', 'ez flash', 'g6'*, or 'm3 perfect'** attached when searching for a slot-2 device. just make absolutely sure in the features that it will play gba. with these slot-2 devices you will also need some kind of external memory. which is usually sd (secure digital) or cf (compact flash).
    *note: the g6 lite has internal memory of 512 megabytes(MB) (4 gigabits(Gb); 8bits(b)=1Byte(B)), it can not be expanded upon.

-Recommendations:
    original ds: m3 minisd perfect. takes minisd. +add a passcard3 and you can play ds backups/homebrew!
    ds lite: m3 lite perfect. takes microsd. +add a passcard3 and you can play ds backups/homebrew!(also recommended for original ds in case of consideration for upgrading to package mentioned in PART-A2)
    m3 fanboy... >_> <_<

[ PART-C ]

jgarces07= The shoulder buttons on my DS (not Lite) are not working. Any advice?
    nintenut= This is going to sound a bit odd, but it works, put your lips around the trigger and blow really hard, it works.
    -note: LMFAO.

you probably have an extensive library of beaten gba games that you don't have the time to go back to, or you simply don't care for gba (wtf is wrong with you?!)... you are indeed looking for a slot-1 device. slot one devices go into the top slot on the ds and are usually the size of a NDS cartridge. slot-2 devices with passme's are now no longer a viable option due to the convenience and price of slot-1 devices. your choices are simple. the options for slot-1 devices include, but are not limited to: the r4-revolution for the ds, supercard ds, ds-xtreme, or m3 ds simply. there are other slot-1 devices, but they may be unreliable and/or ill-supported. they either take microsd's or have internal memory. take note: 8 Gigabits(Gb)=1 GigaByte(GB); 8bits(b)=1Byte(B). don't be fooled by bits, they are the standard for internal memory. you are likely more accustomed to bytes, which is 8x larger and is the standard for external memory.
    *random* note: the slot-1's devices aren't quite up-to-date yet with full homebrew compliance. check here for a bunch of details on the m3 ds simply and its compatibility (applies for r4 as well).

-Recommendations:
    original ds and ds lite:
    r4-revolution for the ds. takes microsd.
    -OR-
    m3 ds simply. takes microsd.
    with a slot-1 device in your ds, you may also want to check out the benefits of also having a slot-2 device in your ds covered in PART-A2. also, the ezflash v 3 in 1 looks like a promising slot-2 compliment to slot-1 devices.
    Objection! are they the same? well, it doesn't ~say~ m3... Hold it! i'm being bias...

but hey! check this out &#8595;

[ RECOMMENDED-HOMEBREW ]

added because hardware is only as good as the software it runs. also, just to help those new to the scene and asking: "WtF, the ds can play videos!!!?!???!?! sweeeeet!!!!!"
    ~some links courtesy of DCEMU

BEUP
    -a msn im client that will run on your ds. it has many features that the desktop version has such as smilies, drawing, buddy list, and, of course, instant messaging.
    i use the NOFAT version on my simply because it seems to be the only one with smilies included(not inside a seperate folder).

DSORGANIZE
    -a pda-like app capable of file browsing/editing. it has a calendar, built-in irc, recording capabilities(create a new text document on the ext memory for your device of choice, rename it to *something*.wav, now you can record on it), plays mp3, supports other audio files, planner, scribble pad, calculator(scientific too), etc. check out the author's blog for other stuff.

MOONSHELL(jap site; use translator)
    -media player capable of playing many file types: mp3, midi, jpg, gif, png, bmp, video that has been converted to dpg (look up dpgtools and batchdpg), etc. it is also the only homebrew that can also launch other homebrew (for me). this is nice because it has built-in protection from launching bad homebrew that may make your ds a useless chunk of plastic (with 2 sexy screens) aka a bricker.

PHIDIAS
    -a drawing app for the ds. OMFG!!! YAYYYYYY!!! (i'm a former Picto-artist...)

DRAW
    -another drawing app, buggy and i can't seem to save images. but still fun and with more features than phidias. perhaps they should exchange notes?

DSAIM-newer vers. may be later in the thread.
    -much like beup is an msn client for your ds, dsaim is an aim client for your ds. it is not as polished and its connectivity is rather poor, but useful nonetheless. and we all know someone who uses aim...

EEPINATOR
    -it's kind of like rein but it has dldi and support for gba sram [not eeprom or flash; therefore some gba titles won't work]. click the link for more details.

SAVSENDER
    -a little program that is also like rein but instead uses wifi and your computer to backup saves.
    instructions and small discussion

[ SLOT-2 ONLY ]

DS GO
    -go (old japanese board game) on the ds. not really full-featured and doesnt utilize much of the ds's abilities [at all], but it beats carrying a go board and 361 stones ^_^.

DIPSTAR
    -used to cheat on games. versions above 3.50 will NOT work on WiFi games at all.

REIN - from dl.qj.net
    -grab/injects saves from/to original ds game carts.

[ SLOT-1 ONLY ]

SIMPLE GBA MODE SWITCHER-needs slot-1 device AND slot-2 device [or gba game cart]
    -boots to gba mode from inside a slot-1 device (such as when your in the ds menu and you tap/select the gba icon). useful because you can boot gba games and slot-2 devices in gba mode without having to remove your slot-1 device and thus bypassing its auto-boot. i use it for the middle button on my simply. you must also have a slot-2 device or gba game inserted for this to work or else your ds may explode. just a theory...

[ DLDI PATCHING ]

the homebrew programs listed may need dldi patching to get it working: resources here.
    thanks to chishm and drunkencoders for dldi. crazy aussie...^_<
    -notes: get win32 gui; "binaries" means the file you need patched; get the dldi file that matches your adapter type; m3 ds simply uses the r4 dldi named "r4tf.dldi"

[ BUY FROM... ]

http://www.divineo.net/ -worldwide shipping, based in china, UK, U.S.A.

http://www.nxpgame.com/ -U.S.A. shipping, based in U.S.A.

http://www.kicktrading.ca/ -worldwide shipping, based in canada

http://www.gp2xstore.com/ -worldwide shipping, based in U.S.A.

http://www.winsunx.com/ -worldwide shipping, based in china

http://www.modchipstore.com/ -worldwide shipping, based in U.S.A.

http://www.realhotstuff.com/ -worldwide shipping, based in U.S.A.

http://www.consolesource.com/ -worldwide shipping, based in U.S.A/canada?

http://www.flashlinker-shop.com/ -worldwide shipping, based somewhere europe (heh)

[ GUIDES ]

mr_hanky's M3 Guide

mr_hanky's M3 DS Simply Guide (also applies to those with the R4)

Venom5880's EZIV Guide

pakixd's Supercard Guide

[ TERMS ]

slot-1: the top slot of the ds. it is where ds games/devices can be inserted.

slot-2: the bottom slot of the ds. this allows for backwards compatibility with GBA game cartridges/devices.

backups: the rom file of a [ds] game, copied from an original cartridge. they can be downloade from places such as [ds.rom-news.org].
    -note: never post links directly to pirated material. you may, however, post links to sites that may [or may not] contain pirated material.

homebrew: programs used on the [ds] for things such as...
    -see: recommended homebrew.

dldi patching: dldi stands for "Dynamically Linked Device Interface" for whatever reason. it is basically a standard for homebrew programs that makes homebrew compatible with the drivers of all possible devices out there. instead of making it so a different version of a program has to be made for each device, one can simply just patch it to work [...most of the time, also dldi may not apply to older programs; even some newer programs don't use dldi].

XbusterZ note: this is my first released guide for anything. let me know what you think and recommend fixes/products/homebrew/such; and if you have questions, feel free to ask. someone else may answer them!

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. illsquee

illsquee Member

helpful, thanks

3. ghost101

ghost101 Member

I just got my ds today, and reading this answered alot of my questions in one hit, thanks.

4. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

your welcome, guys. glad it was of use to you all. i'm thinking of adding a homebrew section...
    good idea/bad idea?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  5. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

6. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

thanks, but what i meant was just a suggestion list of homebrew and a run-down of what they can accomplish. also, requirements and such since some homebrew require the use of a slot-2 device. although talking about that does seem off-topic...

i'm going to add that link now btw...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  7. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

Yes, you're right. That's a list... for the M3 Simply! Please include it. ;d

8. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

9. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Very useful information but it's still leaving me with a question or two. Going with part A-2, pimping out my DS, and assuming I go with the M3 option would this be a good choice? http://www.modchipstore.com/M3-Plat...ution-m3-simply-m3-lite-perfect-1g-16420.html
    It has m3 ds simply m3 lite perfect and micro sd cards. Also, this is just the results of a google search, but where would be a good place to buy from (in US). I want to be able to play gba and DS roms, and don't know if I would need to patch, but I've been reading up on this and have decided I'm definitely getting one, this looks good. Please let me know, if you get back to me today, I'm ordering today. Thanks.

10. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

if you want to play gba and ds games, dont go with an m3 simply, its only for ds games, go with a slot 2 m3 like m3 lite or m3 sd. youll also need a passcard 3 with it. I got mines from divineo.com, it shipped very fast but just know that there is a hefty shipping charge of $16

11. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

This guide should be stickied. Awesome job XbusterZ.

12. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

But if I get the pack that has M3 DS Simply and M3 DS lite, the simply acts as a passcard. That being the case can't I just use the simply when I'm playing DS games only, and the simply plus the lite if I'm playing gba? Also would it give me more compatibility if I get the simply plus the lite, or would compatibility be the same?

13. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

Yes.

GBA compatibility will not be greater. I am unsure about greater/lesser compatibility with DS ROMs when using the combo and running it from the M3 Lite, but the M3DSS allegedly works with every DS ROM available to date.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  14. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

Thanks Much Lufi! also thanks goes out to mark and kiwi for trying to help out magus.
    it works!
    the m3 platinum combo is the one i got. that's why my ds is so pimp. modchipst0re can be ~really~ hit-or-miss, use some secure way of payment (credit is best, but NOT necessary, hell, i paid cash!). they are US-based. packages usually arrive AHEAD of schedule. but always use caution with online sellers. trust none.
    number bullets have been added to the quote.

1. yes, for when you are using the m3 lite for nds related purposes. at other times, they are independent of each other. acting on their own.

2. simply by itself = ds backups/homebrew only.
    m3 lite perfect by itself
    [as in, m3 simply removed and put in another room by itself, in the corner, on a table, next to that lamp that kinda works, but doesn't really, you know the one, the switch got broke...] = gba backups/homebrew only.
    the m3 lite does NOT need the simply to play GBA backups. you can even use the lite on a GBA!

3. well, i know of one possibility. the ds browser. it will only work with a combo like the one you mentioned. but a simple rule of thumb is that if it doesn't work on one device, it'll probably work on the other... or not at all... ^_^

15. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

I forgot to mention you don't be able freely use either the M3 Simply or M3 Lite + M3 Simply combo to play the same DS ROM. The M3 Lite requires the ROM be patched and the M3 Simply requires the ROM be 'clean'.

16. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

OK, so what's the difference between a "patched" and "clean" rom. Price wise what would be better, and compatibility wise what would be better? Whatever I go with I want to get it soon before what's left of my tax return is done.

17. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

A 'clean' ROM is a complete, unmodified dump of the game cartridge. A 'patched' ROM has been modified to include various run-time options (Trimming, DMA speed, Force R/W, etc.) specific to the ROM and adapter.

When using NDS ROMs on the M3 Lite, patching is required. When using NDS ROMs on the M3 Simply, patching is not required, i.e. clean ROMs are used.

The M3 Simply and M3 Lite combo does not increase compatibility for neither GBA nor NDS ROMs, it only grants you the ability to play GBA ROMs. Use the M3 Lite to play GBA ROMs and use the M3 Simply to play the NDS ROMs. The M3 Lite can play NDS roms (when using the M3 Simply as a Passcard) but it would make more sense and be less work (no ROM patching required) to run them directly only using the M3 Simply.

I would use the following layout:

microSD #1 [GBA Games] --> M3 Lite + M3 Simply <-- microSD #2 [NDS Games]

18. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

excellent work Kiwiclx!!!

some clarifications:

pricewise... backups are freely distributed. ~clean~ ones are usually what you'll end up with (thatsa good thing).

clean roms are generally more compatible with all the ds's features (as in download play ~should~ work, not guaranteed, thats about it - download play, meh~, no other advantage has been found, that i know of, a lot of commas)

the m3 lite perfect can play GBA backups/homebrew [note:gba only] without a passcard at all.

the m3 simply can use "trimmed" roms, made from ~clean~ roms(no patching involved here). rom trimmer link below.
    >patched versions of roms will NOT work on the m3 ds simply.
    >NON-patched roms will NOT work on the m3 lite perfect.
    >you MAY patch trimmed roms that have had no previous patches done to them. such as when you feel it necessary to move a backup on the simply to the lite.
    >patching is ~mostly~ automated through the game manager designed for use with m3 perfect/pro products.
    >patching is NOT difficult at all.
    >keep a clean backup on your computer as a starting point for trims/patches. an extremely high percentage of backups found online are ~clean~, work from there.

i use this trimmer: rom trimmer

19. RSkyDiver

RSkyDiver Member

What's the difference in using m3 lite perfect with a m3 simply and passcard3? Most of the people here seem to use the passcard3 resolution (which I ordered).

20. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

as you probably know, the simply can play nds roms by itself. it can also act as a passcard, eliminating the need for one. so generally it doubles your capacity and makes the ds browser available to you. the browser is not that big of a selling point when compared to higher capacity (why not carry 2 microsd's? they are pretty #$%@in' small, i dont trust myself. might [most likely will*] drop it during exchange; im scared it'll come out the simply too... damn!). the ds browser is really nice to have though... also, most [if not all] backups you'll come across will work without any patching/trimming at all on the simply.

for me, i just really enjoy the fact that i can have dedicated devices handling gba/nds on my nds lite.