1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xvid the same as AVI?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by sarahvita, Feb 13, 2006.

1. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

stupid question but all the threads that say something about xvid also say avi. So are they basically the same or are they different.
    Can you burn them the same as avi files?

2. philraz

philraz Regular member

xvids are avis but highly compressed they can be converted and burnt to dvd however the sound is often in mp3 format and can cause some audio sync problems xvid2dvd does a good job of them

3. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

is this a win only app do you know? im a mac-err

4. philraz

philraz Regular member

appears to be sorry I dont no of any mac software

5. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

dang.. I get that reply way to often
    Thanks anyway

6. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

Pardon me but what a load of fishhead!

Do a google search for XVID players for MACOS and you'll see there is quite a selection.

try http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

I'd use Quicktime (as Xvid is one of the MPEG4 compliant formats and QT says it is the topper MPEG4 player).

Just so that you know it is my understanding that:
    The Xvid codec was a continuation of the codec by the original makers of DivX, DivX was a hack of WindowsMediaVideo, and WindosMediaVideo was a blatant copy of QuickTimeVideo, which was the industry standard until DVDs started with MPEG2.

Much like QuickTime Movies, AVI files are just container files in which you can place videos encoded in many formats, xvid is just one of those formats.

7. sarahvita

sarahvita Member

I can play the Avi/xvid on my computer. I would like to play them in my stand alone. I followed a guide.. I cant remember who's it wass and everything worked. BUT the quality is really bad on my TV.. its great on my computer but like watching an old 70's film on the stand alone. Any help there?
    The process was as follows: you can thank res1492 for this one:

Ok i know this is a lot of encoding but this is how i get my Tv episodes (AVI) onto DVD

First start by opening toast 7...under the "Video" tab choose "Video CD"
    Drop in the episodes..for some reason i find that if i try to encode more than 6 at a time
    they Fook up...so no mre than 6...it doesnt matter if the little coloured bar at the bottom
    goes into the red at this moment in time because your not going to burn the image to a
    CD..you just need the .Dat files that it encodes
    Now goto "File" And "Save as Disk Image"..Save it somewhere..After it has encoded, right
    click and "Mount it"
    Now open the Disk image and goto the "MPEGAV" Folder ...You should see your episodes
    there...they will be called "AVSEQ01.DAT" files
    So depending how many episodes you dropped in you'll have as many .DAT files

OK now copy the .DAT files out onto your desktop and rename them to your TV show.
    So....
    If you dropped in 3 lost eps
    AVSEQ01.DAT=Lost Eps 01.DAT
    AVSEQ02.DAT=Lost Eps 02.DAT
    AVSEQ03.DAT=Lost Eps 03.DAT
    And so on......

Now open up toast again and under "Video" tab choose "DVD-Video" and drop in the .DAT
    files...keep your eye on the little colouerd bar so you know when your DVD is full.
    Choose the menu style you want and Goto "File" and "Save As Disk Image"
    Once this has encoded you will be able to burn the image to a DVD and watch on your
    Player

Guys i know that there must be easier ways of getting .AVI files onto DVD but this has
    always worked for me and with my new GigaDesigns 2GHz processor upgrade for my G4 it
    doesnt take long at all
    About 20 mins to encode an episode to VCD then about 1 and a half hours to encode a full
    DVD Thanks for the time

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  8. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

so youre converting AVI to VCD and then to DVD, yes? Ouch!

your correct there must be a quicker way - I wish you luck - I'm in no better situation myself !!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  9. AtrophyG4

AtrophyG4 Member

Why convert to VCD first? Go into Toast, click the Video tab and then select DVD Video in the side bar. Put however many files you want into the Toast window, do your settings, and then click record. Its going to take awhile (around 8 hours or so) but when its done you will have a fully working DVD. I have done this with a couple TV shows that I got episodes for and quite a few other AVI files. I think your AVI--->VCD--->DVD conversion is whats killing your quality. Hope this works.