1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost in DVD Shrink/DVD Decrypter - Scuba Pete?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Rahs, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Rahs

Rahs Member

I am trying in vain to use these two programs to backup some dvds and I am having zero success. I have read ScubaPetes guide and still can't get things to work. I get an error when trying to encode with DVD Shrink so I am trying to use dvd decrypt to get the info to my harddrive, then use shrink to compress it then use nero to burn it as a final step. Can anyone give me exact instructions on how this needs to be done??

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuummm, did someone ring ? ? ?

A guide, huh ?

Well OK, just for you Rahs,

Now, so that I don't get you all corn-fused - let's forget everything we've done in the past and start off from the very beginning, Okie. Dokie ? ? Good-tin (That's German for, "Yea, that's fine with me -" :)

Are we all set ?

Great !

Of course the main thing is to download the programs before you can think of doing anything :)

Program # 1.
    (Get your DVD Decrypter's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Program # 2.
    (Get your DVD Shrink's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Now that we've done that - exactly

First create a folder for your HD backup work. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:\All My DVD Work\Dumb and Dumber Meet the Parents Out for a Kill get Eaten Alive.)

To be sure we don't miss a setting and that all steps are followed EXACTLY -

PLEASE, PRINT THIS GUIDE OUT NOW !
    (It makes it so much easier to follow :D)

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive. If you have only a single drive, begin by placing your original in the drive first - When it necessary to put your blank in, you will be prompted to do so. DO USE; Phillips, RiData, Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Verbatim DataLife, Verbatim DataLife Plus, media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO", Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Other media could cause unnecessary errors, only the very best media should be used for DVD Video burning. Now is defiantly not the time to put your, "Boy did I save money buying this crappy cheap stuff." in - )

Now we're going to rip this "Puppy" with DVD Decrypter. Open DVD Decrypter, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can read your DVD. Go to "Mode", then "ISO" then "Read". Now let's go to "Tools", "Settings" then go to the "I/O" tab and in the bottom right-hand side "tick" "Ignore read errors," then click OK". Under "Source" find the drive with your original DVD and in "Destination", since it's an ISO file it can go anywhere in your prepared folder. Then "click" the Drive to HD "icon" -

We'll wait for the "rip, the music will let us know when DVD Decrypter is finished :) Meanwhile, I'm going for coffee and a smoke - I'll be back when it's done ~ ~>

Sea that ? I'm baaack. Next, lets get DVD Decrypter setup so it can burn in the background after DVD Shrink has done its thing - Ya ready ?? Yea, I knew you were :) Right-o, in DVD Decrypter under "Mode" select "ISO, Write". "un-tick" the box that says "Verify". Where it says "Source", you'll leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location of your backed up DVD file from DVD Shrink automatically. Lastly, where it says "Destination", select the drive where your burner resides. Feel free to close DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink will open it when it needs it.

("Gee willikers Mr. Bill, I'm tired already - this is truly a lot of work." (Lol);)

Next, open DVD Shrink, you have the latest version of DVD Shrink so click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size no higher than 4360MB - If your blank discs aren't the best, drop your size to around 4300MB. We do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't too large AND that we're not burning to the very edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab "un-tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK".

Are you rested now ? Super ! Now "click" DVD Shrink' s "File" and then "Open disc image", find your DVD Decrypter's ISO image then click "OK" and wait for about 30 seconds to about a minute while DVD Shrink "Analysis's" your DVD.
    Now, let's burn that DVD. Today we're doing a total backup, that's all the things on the original disc. There's no problem in doing this as long as we do not see any "Red" on the size bar at the top, right-hand area of DVD Shrink's program. (If you should see some "Red" there, on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages like Bovine Slobber Jaw, Saturn Ring Worrble, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears.) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone. THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" .
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform Deep Analysis" before backup to improve quality AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust Quality Enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink begins the process that burns that ISO image to your HD. What that means is DVD Shrink then opens DVD Decrypter and has it burn the ISO image to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don't use your PC for anything at all while it's working.

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

Hey, I've got to get going - I want to pick up a DVD to watch tonight from Block Buster's - Just give me a holler when you get done and "catch me up" on how it all turned out, OK ?

Kweel, Chat with you later -

Sea Yaaaaaaa,

When you need a guide with a fractured frontal lobe, shop ScubaPete :p)

Cheers,

Pete

Remember, hurry back, we'll be a-waiting for a full report -

3. Rahs

Rahs Member

Thanks for quick response.

I get to the point of

"THEN we select "Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" ."

and I see that I don't have that option available to me under select backup target. I have Shrink version 3.2.15 or whatever latest is and it don't work. Did I change some mysterious setting without knowing it? Whats happening?

I need help!

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Once again, PRINT OUT THE GUIDE. I say this not for my health but because it's easier to find your "Boo-Boo's".

Start at the beginning and follow everything the guide tells you, re-check ALL the settings - even the ones you're "positive" about and you'll find your mistake - it may be in Shrink - edit - preferences, I/O tab OR you may have forgotten to do something in DVD Decrypter. IF you cannot find it - write down every step you take util you get your error OR whatever is slowing you down.

Take your time and write it all down, every move you made then we'll go over it.

I believe you'll find your mistake if you check all of your settings though -

Cheers,

Pete

5. houseman

houseman Member

pete: I'm new to this forum and am having a problem with the info you posted on using dvddecrypter, and dvdshrink. I followed your instructions to the T... and with the last keystroke of "OK" I recieve the error message DVD SHRINK ENCOUNTERED AN ERROR AND CANNOT CONTINUE, and PROGRAMMING ERROR-EXCEPTION OCCURRED. In other words what's going on with that.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there houseman,

Exactly where are you getting your error ? After you're in "Backup" and are getting ready to burn ?

What is the name of the DVD you're backing up ?

What media are you using ?

Pete

7. houseman

houseman Member

pete: the error message shows up when the back-up process should begin to burn the disc to my HD. The movie is the bourne supremacy, but I've tried others of different age(length of time they have have been out on the market). the media is memorex +R and my burner is a Dell and my software is roxio, and that in itself might be the problem, I don't know thanks for the help.... thehouseman

8. houseman

houseman Member

PETE: I have been pilfering around with some of the features that dvd shrink has on it and found that by re-authoring the dvd (not making a complete back up,just movie only) I am able to make a copy, concurrently leading me to believe that the problem is free space. After trying the process (full backup) again I found that according to the dvd shrink I have more than ample space after the initial shrink without cutting out any of the special features which in fact leaves me more puzzled than before... I NEED A DRINK,A SMOKE, AND SOME IDEA OF WHAT IT IS THAT I'M DOING WRONG (FRUSTRATION)anyway much help would be appreciated. thanks thehouseman

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I wish I had known what disc it was before ~

Supremacy has a little "catch" in it -

Put the original disc in, go to unreferenced materials, Title 1 menu and play it in the preview screen. You'll se a little boy "jumping". It's an anti-copyright thingie -

Here's what works -

AFA the Bourne Supremacy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and one or two others - In "Unreferenced materials" select title 1 menus, there is a "Boy" running (in green shorts too). By checking him out in the "Preview" screen, you can see his outfit too. Sometimes DVD Shrink gets past it sometimes not -

If you don't make it past it then go to that Unreferenced materials select Title 1 menus – Then go to "Compression" select "Custom Ratio" then select "Still image" then try DVD Shrink again, it should slide right on through, like a hot knife through tender Turkey –

If it doesn't work, let's do this too -

Tune DVD Decrypter - I'd like you to check your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.1.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove IFO/BUP PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO, Read Mode", "tick" "Remove IFO/BUP PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with lightly scratched discs which may cause ripping problems.

AFA the Bourne Supremacy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and one or two others - In "Unreferenced materials" select title 1 menus, there is a "Boy" running (in green shorts too). By checking him out in the "Preview" screen, you can see his outfit too. Sometimes DVD Shrink gets past it sometimes not -

If you don't make it past it then go to that Unreferenced materials select Title 1 menus – Then go to "Compression" select "Custom Ratio" then select "Still image" then try DVD Shrink again, it should slide right on through, like a hot knife through tender Turkey –

We can re-author also removing that jumping boy and keeping all else -

The reason so many choices, it in the order of sucess -

Good Luck,

SEASONS GREETINGS,

Pete

10. jockey747

jockey747 Member

SCUBAPETE HELP PLEASE

I get the following error when trying to burn with Nero and Decrypter.
    Even tried with Decryoter and Shrink still no luck.
    I have followed all settings as per your guide.

Dell

Windows XP 5.1
    IA32
    WinAspi: File 'Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=4.60 (1021), size=45056 bytes, created 9/10/1999 12:06:00 PM
    ahead WinASPI: File 'D:\Program Files\Ahead\nero\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 10/26/2004 5:35:34 PM
    Nero version: 6.6.0.3 (Nero Express)
    Recorder: <ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax> Version: 120D - HA 1 TA 0 - 6.6.0.3
    Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1
    Drive buffer : 2048kB
    Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ATAPI
    CD-ROM: <ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax >Version: 120D - HA 1 TA 0 - 6.6.0.3
    Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 1

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
    DiskPeripheral : Maxtor 90651U2 atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
    DiskPeripheral : ST36423A atapi Port 0 ID 1 DMA: On
    CdRomPeripheral : ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
    ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax F: CDRom0
    =======================

AutoRun : 1
    Excluded drive IDs:
    WriteBufferSize: 32505856 (0) Byte
    ShowDrvBufStat : 0
    BUFE : 0
    Physical memory : 191MB (196148kB)
    Free physical memory: 51MB (53016kB)
    Memory in use : 72 %
    Uncached PFiles: 0x0
    Use Inquiry : 1
    Global Bus Type: default (0)
    Check supported media : Disabled (0)

Burn DVD Image
    10:17:30 PM #1 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 127
    Reader running

10:17:30 PM #2 Text 0 File Writer.cpp, Line 122
    Writer ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax running

10:17:30 PM #3 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3151
    Turn on Disc-at-once, using DVD media

10:19:39 PM #4 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 256
    Last possible write address on media: 2298495 (510:46.45, 4489MB)
    Last address to be written: 2201888 (489:18.38, 4300MB)

10:19:39 PM #5 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 268
    Write in overburning mode: NO (enabled: CD)

10:19:39 PM #6 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2309
    Recorder: ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax, Media type: DVD-RW
    Disc Manufacturer: OPTODI - SCK001
    Disc Application Code: 64, Disc Physical Code: 214

10:19:39 PM #7 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 430
    >>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities: <<<
    =========================================
    This disc is not empty.
    (Medium in drive: DVD-RW. Medium required by compilation: DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW.)
    VMS. Disc was erased successfully.
    Accessing disc...
    (Medium in drive: DVD-RW. Medium required by compilation: DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW.)

10:19:39 PM #8 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 830
    Setup items (after recorder preparation)
    0: TRM_DATA_MODE1 (2 - CD-ROM Mode 1, ISO 9660)
    2 indices, index0 (150) not provided
    original disc pos #0 + 2202039 (2202039) = #2202039/489:20.39
    not relocatable, disc pos for caching/writing not required/not required, no patch infos
    -> TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048, config 0, wanted index0 0 blocks, length 2202039 blocks [ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax]
    --------------------------------------------------------------

10:19:39 PM #9 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1040
    Prepare recorder [ATAPI DVD RW 12XMax] for write in CUE-sheet-DAO
    DAO infos:
    ==========
    MCN: ""
    TOCType: 0x00; Session Closed, disc fixated
    Tracks 1 to 1:
    1: TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048/0x00, FilePos 0 0 214808576, ISRC ""
    DAO layout:
    ===========
    __Start_|____Track_|_Idx_|_CtrlAdr_|_RecDep__________
    0 | lead-in | 0 | 0x41 | 0x00
    0 | 1 | 0 | 0x41 | 0x00
    0 | 1 | 1 | 0x41 | 0x00
    2202039 | lead-out | 1 | 0x41 | 0x00

10:19:40 PM #10 Phase 24 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Caching of files started

10:19:40 PM #11 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 4038
    Cache writing successful.

10:19:40 PM #12 Phase 25 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Caching of files completed

10:19:40 PM #13 Phase 36 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Burn process started at 1x (1,385 KB/s)

10:19:40 PM #14 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 2596
    Verifying disc position of item 0 (not relocatable, no disc pos, no patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0

10:19:40 PM #15 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 2248
    Recording mode: Sequential Recording Mode

10:19:40 PM #16 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 21025
    Set BUFE: Seamless Link -> ON

10:19:40 PM #17 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 2389
    Start write address at LBA 0
    DVD high compatibility mode: Yes

10:19:40 PM #18 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 8315
    ---- DVD Structure: Physical Format Information (00h) ----
    Layer: 0, Address: 0 (0 h), AGID: 0; Length: 2050
    Book Type: DVD-RW (3), Part Version: 2
    Disc Size: 120 mm, Maximum Rate: 10.08 Mbps (2 h)
    Number of Layers: 1, Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP), Layer Type: recordable
    Linear Density: 0,267 um/bit, Track Density: 0,74 um/track
    Starting Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 30000 h (DVD-ROM, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW)
    End Physical Sector Number of Data Area: 26127F h
    End Sector Number in Layer 0: 0 h
    Data in Burst Cutting Area (BCA) does not exist
    Start sector number of the current Border-Out: 0 h
    Start sector number of the next Border-In: 0 h
    Media Specific [16..63]:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

10:40:58 PM #19 SCSI -1039 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1430
    SCSI Exec, HA 1, TA 0, LUN 0, buffer 0x07CB0000
    HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
    TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
    Sense Key: 0x04 (KEY_HARDWARE_ERROR)
    Sense Code: 0x09
    Sense Qual: 0x01
    CDB Data: 0x2A 0x00 0x00 0x0C 0x5F 0xA0 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00
    Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x04 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x0A
    0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x09 0x01

10:40:58 PM #20 CDR -1039 File Writer.cpp, Line 311
    Focus or tracking error

10:40:58 PM #21 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 228
    all writers idle, stopping conversion

10:40:58 PM #22 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 222
    conversion idle, stopping reader

10:40:58 PM #23 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 2632
    EndDAO: Last written address was 810911

10:40:58 PM #24 Phase 181 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Writing lead-out...

10:40:58 PM #25 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Burn process failed at 1x (1,385 KB/s)

Existing drivers:
    File 'Drivers\ASPI32.SYS': Ver=4.60 (1021), size=25244 bytes, created 9/10/1999 12:06:00 PM
    File 'Drivers\atapi.sys': Ver=5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148), size=86656 bytes, created 8/19/2001 1:00:00 AM (Adapter driver for rec)

Registry Keys:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

pleaSE HELP

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, one thing at a time -

Use the edit icon at the top right of your post and remove your Nero s/n so pple don't steal it from you -

It's the number under Dell - (generally your name )

Your discs burned just fine for 21 minutes and only failed when you ran out of room (that's what it looks like).

If you're going to burn an ISO image, why not use DVD Decrypter ?

What guide are you using ?

If you are going to use Nero, then use DVD Shrink to burn with Nero - and let DVD Shrink do it "automatically".

There's nothing wrong with using Nero to burn ISO's BUT you have more chances to make errors when you do it in seperate steps -

Again, what guide are you using - Re-check all your settings -

Pete

12. jockey747

jockey747 Member

I have printed one of your guides from an old thread. Can you send me a link to the latest guide. Also I'm burning on DVD-RW and I am erasing it everytime I fail, should I use full erase all quick erase, i use quick as full takes almost an hour everytime.
    Do I need a lot of free space on my HDD. As the rip is successful I don't think it's a space issue.
    No what i have is an ISO image of the moviue on my hdd and please tell me how I can burn it. Also I don't want to take a new disc out as I have wasted 3 already.
    Can you please send me a link to the guide using Decrypter and Nero where shrink does it automatically.

Thanks

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jockey747,

There's no problem using a RW disc, use the quick erase, that will do just fine.

Since you have an ISO image on your HD, instead of using DVD Shrink "Open Disc" to get your DVD - Go to "File" then choose "Open Disc Image" then process as usual using all the settings as are in the guide.

Ooohhh the Guide ? Here is the link, it has 3 different guides, you want the second or the middle one and all should go swimmingly -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105641

Pete

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

These two forums PLUS you have the gall to PM me with the exact same question ?
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/123096#710217
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/135493

If I hear one word from you - Just one word, I'm going to formally request that you be banned from the aD.

You're not more important than others, I've told you that twice before - I shouldn't have to tell you things 3 times - Your Mommy might but I'm not her -

The multi-posting and hounding of me in PM's will stop NOW -