1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CloneDVD (.net version, not Elby)

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Odin777, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Odin777

Odin777 Member

I have been using a trial of this program, which, from what I've now gathered reading these forums, is not rated very favourably.

I like its (supposed) ability to edit/remove specific chapters within a title set. I haven't been able to burn a single disc this way though (not even a coaster). I edit the discs down to less than 4GB so that they will fit on a regular 4.7 GB DVD+ or -R, but CloneDVD always says this:
    "Current movie size 6029 exceeds your specified target size 4489, please remove some necessary content."

I get this message despite the fact that I unchecked several items until there is less than 3GB to be transferred in some cases! Even if I click "Back" and remove more stuff, still the same problem. (At the very least the program could have aborted the operation BEFORE spending 1/2 hour ripping the selected content!)

Even selecting the "split into 2 discs" option doesn't prevent the above error.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone used this program and experienced this problem (and found a way around it?)

2. Is there ANY program that can easily allow chapter editing/removal? From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be...I like CloneDVD2 by Elby, but it only allows removal of entire title sets, not scenes -- likewise with DVD Shrink (plus no menus can be kept if I re-author).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  2. Odin777

Odin777 Member

I should add that I tried the program (v3.0) on its own, and also with trials of both AnyDVD 4.5.3 and DVD Region+CSS Free 5.61.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  3. poncho13

poncho13 Guest

im using clone dvd2 and get an error it reads the movie in 40 minits and the when it wants to burn it says

writing to video dvd was not successfull
    write dvd 10 5

4. Syxx_Nyne

Syxx_Nyne Member

what are u trying to burn need more info and what versions of the programs are u using

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

poncho13,

Why am I not surprised. Which program are you talking about. Now your posting about CloneDVD.

These are all different programs. CloneDVD, DVD Cloner II and DVDCloner2.

Be more specific and stop multiposting!!! How do you expect to get help??

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

7. Odin777

Odin777 Member

Syxx_Nyne, I have had this problem with every DVD I've tried using that program...and I'm using v3 (as well as the latest versions of AnyDVD and DVD Region+CSS Free).

8. Odin777

Odin777 Member

My mistake -- actually the version of DVD X Player's "CloneDVD" that I was using (3.0) was a little out of date, and according to their changelog, the error to which I referred has since been corrected. I have now burned a disc using the latest build (v3.0.2.5), which just came out last week. It seems to work...

Also, upon further examination, I have found that Elby's "CloneDVD2" DOES in fact allow the removal of specific chapters. Clicking on the scissors beneath the Video Preview window brings up a small bar that can be dragged over the desired chapters, thus cutting those which are not selected. Unfortunately, however, this appears to allow only consecutive chapters to be cut.

It would be nice if some of the features of these two nearly eponymous programs could be combined. The "bar-dragging" chapter-cutting method of Elby's program is a little bit awkward compared to the easy check-boxes which DVD X Player's program uses. On the other hand, the latter program doesn't provide a video preview to enable the user to check what should be kept or cut.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  9. Syxx_Nyne

Syxx_Nyne Member

okay odin, u need to use elbys clonedvd2 which does allow
    chapter cutting, i dont know which older version u had but all the ones i had have always had chapter cutting with checking and unchecking of boxes. Now unless ur trying to burn a dual layer u should have it set to dvd5 and in automatically compresses the vid for u, u shouldnt have to do anything else with clonedvd2 from elbys or slysoft/ slysoft anydvd latest version also very good, older version suck a little

10. Odin777

Odin777 Member

Yes, Syxx_Nyne, as I said, I realized afterwards that CloneDVD2 has chapter cutting -- I just hadn't noticed it. But the chapters are not checkboxes like you say --only the titles are.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005