1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A DVD2OneX Newbie Needs Your Help

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by macDIESEL, Feb 14, 2004.

1. rooth

rooth Member

Where can I find DVDBackup for the Mac? I've looked in about 30 or 40 threads so far, and everyone mentions it, but there's never any link.

2. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

[bold]eikcam (Newbie) 5 June 2004 09:28
    Marchalls what part of the west indies are you from
    [/bold]

I'm from Trinidad & Tobago, just 9 miles off the coast of Venezuela. Heard of it?

3. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

originally posted by rooth Newbie 6 June 2004 11:06
    Where can I find DVDBackup for the Mac? I've looked in about 30 or 40 threads so far, and everyone mentions it, but there's never any link.

Guy, you're the 'net! Any search engine will give you the direction. Two minutes on Yahoo and I had it in my Hard Drive.
    I'd post a link, but being a newbie, I don't wish at all to go against board rules if the rules prohibit such posting.

4. eikcam

eikcam Guest

hi marchalls.nice to hear from one of my neighbours,i'm from J A been living in england for 30 yrs, hope to get back to the real world soon...Try a google search for DVD Backup should take you directly to the software site. im also a mac user so any queries just post the Forum....good luck

5. emawk7

emawk7 Member

Just giving a shout out to eikcam and Marchalis. I am a Jamaican too with a G5, lovely machine. Just ripped Return of the King with Mac the Ripper and then used DVD2OneX to compress it and then burned the disc using Toast 6 but the second half of the movie didn't play. When I went back and tried playing the video_TS folder on my harddrive using the native DVD Player, it gave problems there too so I guess something went wrong with the compression process. I think that I might just stick to using OSEx and using 2 discs to burn movies using DVDSP2. Good to see some West Indian Mac users out there.

6. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

I use DVDBackup 1.3, DVD2oneX and DVD Imager together with Disk Utilities (I don't have Toast). Recently, [bold]Londor[/bold] pointed out a fundamental flaw in the way I burned backups onto DVD's. Since then, I've never had any problems whatsoever with the software I use to make backups. I had the chance to use OSEx but DVDBackup looked more user friendly, especially for someone as green as I am (was). I too discovered it was better to burn 2 discs instead of trying to fit it onto one, the second movie didn't play. Perhaps there is a way we newbies have yet to discover, or be told of... hint, hint Londor. Aside from that, I don't have a problem using 2 discs, at least I get to retain a higher quality than having 2 compressed to fit one.
    The G5's are really great aren't they! Imagine 9 fans and you'd never know they were in use! Absolutely first class!
    Greetings to my fellow West Indians. There are more of us using Macs than you know!!!

Stay up.

7. Londor

Londor Guest

I do not like backing up a movie onto two dics.

If the movie is less than 130 minutes long I will compress only
    the movie at a variable ratio using DVD2OneX.

If the movie is longer or you really want to back up the whole
    DVD it is better to use DVDRemaster instead of DVD2OneX.
    Doing this you will get a quality that is similar to the original
    one. The problem is that the setting that achieves that result
    (M2VDownsizer at the best quality) is really slow (about 5
    hours on a G5 1.8 DP and about 9 hours on a 1.25 G4) and it
    does not give you as many options as DVD2OneX but you can
    walk around the latter.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/83921

http://www.metakine.com/products/dvdremaster/
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2004
  8. emawk7

emawk7 Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try it and let you know how I fare.
    Kwame

9. eikcam

eikcam Guest

whats up... emawk7 good to hear from you,sorry to hear you've had problems with your DVD2ONEX,I;ve not experiance any problems like that yet but nice to hear from another MAC USER, They should rename the G5 to Warp 5 it:s so fast...anyway easy bruv