1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd43 green smiley face

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by smileyaj, Nov 25, 2004.

1. smileyaj

smileyaj Member

What does the green smiley face mean in the task bar? it turns green after the yellow and red face.Movies read except Elf. please help.Thanks in advance .

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

The green smiley face means the Region Code and CSS protection problems have been dealt with. On some rare occasions, though, a DVD still cannot be read correctly even with the green smiley face on. In that case, you may try, with disc still in burner, toggle DVD43 off, then on (i.e. let it do the trick again).
    BTW: yellow face: burner detected; red face (devil): trying to crack DVD)

3. smileyaj

smileyaj Member

Thanks.

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

My pleasure. Did it work with Elf?

5. smileyaj

smileyaj Member

No. I rip it with xcopy and icopy but would never burn. got burn error straight away. any ideas. this dvd has interactive video attached to it. i got mad and uninstalled xcopy off for now. it also keeps telling me region set to 8 and i have only one more try with this player. i am region one?? thanks for help.

6. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Well, if you have DVD43 doing its job, then maybe you can try burn it with Nero. Re. the region thing, I have not tried this, but there are methods to overcome that too. You may need to search the web for the solution. Also, perhaps restoring your system to a fomer time may do the trick???

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi smileyaj, welcome to aD,

That's one of XCopy's problems. It does movies but not other things.

Start with DVD Decrypter the use DVD Shrink and burn with Decrypter.

Decrypter, mode, ISO Read then DVD Shrink, File, Open Disc image then burn with Decrypter.

Do the rip first, I just told you the settings then follow thje guide about mid-way down this page and the end result will be perfect -

AND
    you'll have another way to do DVD's and all for FREE !

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

Let me know how you do -

Pete

8. dj928

dj928 Member

Can I just use DVD Decrypter without DVD Shrink? I find Shrink too confusing to use. I have ICopyDVDs and DVD43, but it won't always remove the encrypton (even with green smiley face), and I am wasting discs.

Thanks.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dj928,

You can use whatever you like - DVDD is a super ripper - I would suggest that you use it the "File" MODE. And rip it to a folder that's named VIDEO_TS (written just like that, all in CAP's) as DVDD doesn't make a folder like DVD Shrink does.

I have to say that in all my tim here and "pushing" DVD Shrink, you are the very first that said that Shrink was, "too confusing to use." All I can say is, "WOW" !

Just 3 clicks -

click 1. "Open Disc"
    click 2. "Backup"
    click 3. "OK"

I guess everyone needs to do it their own way -

Well Good Luck -

Wait a second, You'll need a Guide for DVDD - We want you to be able to do good backups.

First, you should, as many of you do already, Create a folder for your DVD ripped files before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Decrypter can put your files You must name this file VIDEO_TS because unlike DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter doesn't make a folder for the files. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:/All DVD work/Pirates of the Caribbean.

Next – you need to download this:
    (Get your DVD Decrypter’s newest version here - )

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Open DVD Decrypter and go to "Mode", then "I[bFile [/b".
    Where it says "Source", put your DVD drive -
    Where it says "Destination", Browse until you find your VIDEO_TS folder -
    Click the "Disc to HD" icon.

Now let's wait until out rip in finished -

You'll hear a sound alert after the reading / ripping is finished –

Once that's finished you may pickup your VIDEO_TS folder with whatever proggy you wish to use –

Enjoy,

Pete

10. dj928

dj928 Member

The instructions I was given for DVD shrink was more complicate than that. Anyway, I guess I'm just not as computer-savy as other people posting on this website.

Anyway, I did decrypt the file using DVDD and then tried to copy it to disc using ICopyDVDs2. It read the file in less than 2 seconds. This is consistent with the time it took to read the fils using ICopyDVDs2 and DVD43. I ended up with a nice icon on my DVD and nothing else - had to throw it away. So, it appears that even with DVDD, it can't get past the encryption. It's a pretty new release - a TV show series DVD.

Thanks.

11. dj928

dj928 Member

Here are the instructions I was given for DVD Shrink.

Setting up DVD Shrink:
    Click on the Edit menu and then on Preferences...
    In the DVD Shrink Preferences window which opens, click on the File I/O tab
    As this guide only uses freeware, make sure that the Enable burning with Nero option is UNCHECKED

Click the OK button

Ripping:
    Start DVD Decrypter
    Ensure you're in 'File' mode by pressing the 'F' key or selecting it via the 'Mode' option in the menu at the top
    If, for some reason, all files are not selected, press <Ctrl-A> to select ALL the files
    Make a note of the destination folder, for example 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS'

Click the [DVD-image] button to start DVD Decrypter, this will take anything from 10 minutes and up, depending on your computer and DVD drive speed

When it is finished, close DVD Decrypter

Re-authoring / Shrinking:
    Start DVD Shrink
    Click the [OPEN FILES] button on the main toolbar
    Navigate to C:\NAME_OF_DVD\VIDEO_TS, select VIDEO_TS.IFO and click [OPEN], this will take a few minutes while DVD shrink analyzes the DVD.

When the analysis has finished, you will see the entire structure of the decrypted DVD files.

Jump to step 16 to backup the entire DVD, (like an episodic or series DVD like Friends or Simpsons), instead of just the 'main movie', and then adjust the compression for the extras and menus in order to leave more room for the main title.

Click the [RE-AUTHOR] button on the main toolbar and the DVD Browser tab should be active; if not, click on it
    Click and hold on 'Title 1' and drag it to the left-hand pane, under DVD

If your movie is greater than 4.35GB then the movie is automatically compressed as you can see if you click on the 'Compression Settings' tab. Here you can deselect audio tracks and subtitles you don't want in order to minimize the compression of the video.

Insert a blank DVD±R(W) into your DVD-burner
    Click the [BACKUP] button on the main toolbar
    Select ISO Image file and burn with DVD Decrypter as your target device

Select an appropriate target file/folder for DVD Shrink to output to, for example 'C:\NEW_DVD.ISO'
    If your movie is greater than 4.35GB, then you can CHECK the 'Perform deep analysis' option on the Quality Settings tab to enhance the video quality. If it's not, there's no need to compress and you can't select that option.

Click [OK]. If your movie is greater than 4.35GB it will take about 20 - 40 minutes depending on the length of the movie, and the complexity of the mpeg. Otherwise it will only take a few minutes.
    Once DVD Shrink has finished reauthoring and/or compressing, DVD Decrypter will automatically launch and burn the image to DVD without any user intervention
    When you have checked and are happy with the new DVD, you can delete the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD' folder, the 'C:\NEW_DVD' folder (if it exists) and the 'C:\NAME_OF_DVD.ISO' file

Looks like a lot more than 3 clicks to me. ;)

12. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

3 steps will do it if you are happy with the compression factor. It's only if you need to reauthor for main movie only to make quality better that it requires a little more involvment but that is very well explained in several shrink guides located everywhere. Try it you will like it lol

13. dj928

dj928 Member

That's the only guide I've seen, and it's too much for me. If you can recommmend an easier guide, I'd appreciate it.

However, if my movie won't burn to DVD after successfully going through decrypter's program - then trying to burn from ICopyDVDs2, then why would Shrink work differently? It seems that the protection is just not being broken.

Thanks for your help.

14. dj928

dj928 Member

OK, I think I found the problem. I checked the "entire disk" box, and now it is taking 30 minutes to read it. I did not have to check anything with the movie I did before, so I didn't know I had to check it. Now, do I have to check that every time? What about the dual layer box?

Anybody famaliar with ICopyDVDs2 know?

Thanks.

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dj928,

(Heh, heh Did he ask ScubaPete for an easier guide ? Well Guys, should I hook the man up ? Yea, I know ya'
    all would say that :)

Hey there dj928, why not try the guide all the way at the bottom of the page - You will have to setup DVD Shrink and DVDD BUT then, you'll be a burning maniac ! Check this link ~ ~>

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105641

That is a super guide - you can do a "Total" (everything on the disc) and it will take you the 3 clicks OR you can edit your disc and it will only take you a few seconds longer. The entire process time will be longer, expect it BUT the quality will be "Way" better. If you don't care about quality and are satisfied with the quality like the other proggy then let me know and we can speed the time up quite a bit.

Longer time = better quality. That's reality. You can't go fast and get the quality obtained with quality settings and dual encoding.

About your box checking, Yes you need to select either the full movie OR entire disc. One may be set by default BUT the decision made by you must be entered.

If you have a Dual burner and DL DVD discs THEN and only then do you check the DL box. If you are using a standard burner, let that box alone and hang out here some more to learn about DL media.

Cheers,

Pete :)

16. dj928

dj928 Member

Hey Pete - now that I have ICopyDVDs2 working, can I improve the quality by slowing down the burn or by doing anything else? Or, is that link with the otherr programs the only way to get better quality?

Thanks.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dk928,

You'll not improve quality with that proggy.

FYI, Maintaining the same quality as the original is the best that anyone can hope for. Programs such as DVD Shrink with Deep Anaylsis and Quality settings can come close to maintaining a DVD's quality.

Dual encoding as found with CCE or to a slightly lesser degree with recode2 with dual encoding will always win out over 1-click proggys like IcopyDVDs2.

Slowing your burn speed does nothing for your quality, it just takes longer to burn.

When we say "Time = quality" - We mean processing (Encoding) time NOT burning time. i.e., One of the very best burners is CopyToDVD and it is, considered by many (myself included), one of the fastest burners on the Internet.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  18. dj928

dj928 Member

Hey Pete,

But, I would still need DVD Shrink to backup movies with CopyToDVD, correct? Is CopyToDVD at least easier to use than DVD Shrink? I know you think Shrink is easy, but I don't have the same level of computer expertise. Thanks. :)

19. beltline

beltline Regular member

20. dj928

dj928 Member

Thanks, that guide with pics definitely made it easier to tackle. However, I was left with several questions before I could burn a DVD (after following the instructions).

P.S. I spoke to a co-worker of mine who builds his own (and other's) computers. He said he did not like or use DVD Shrink, because it was too confusing. So, I am not the first to feel this way.

Anyway, I am still trying to muddle through it. Here are my questions that I could not figure out from the guide:

1. If using the re-author option, do I still have to uncheck as much as I can as mentioned in the previous instruction?

2. What about menus? When copying TV shows with different episodes, it's important to be able to get from one episode to another easily. What happens if I remove the menus and just select the shows to burn? I tried to add only the menus that I thought I neede, but I got a message (that I can't remember) that indicated I needed to put all or nothing on the menus. My question is how the shows will play without the menus.

3. After clicking the "quality settings" preferences, the program just started analysing the DVD without allowing me to go to the next step in the instructions (select backup target, etc). Is that a problem?

The answers to these questions would greatly improve the guide you sent me the link to.

Thanks again. :)