1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hotswap Can Fix Xbox With Error 13, 14, 16, 20 And 21, can reinstate Xbox's HDD To Factory Condition, can also Install/Reinstall Softmod Files. Al...

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by TheReturn, Apr 19, 2006.

1. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@Raymon117

Which cable did you disconect from xbox's hdd? do you know the secondary ide cable on PC?

- during hotswap, do not disconnect the power cable (4 wires) of xbox hdd. Disconnect to ide cable (flat wide gray cable). If you disconnect the power cable, you may have error 5. HDD is unlock.

- ON pc, there are 2 ide cables: primary and secondary. Usually, pc's hdd connects to primary ide cable. So the other ide cable is secondary. This cable only connect to xbox's hdd. NO other devices.

Tell me what's up with your xbox now.

2. roadtrash

roadtrash Guest

my mucked up xbox thread is here....error 16

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/445080

I got it hotswaped first try...woot. I ran xplorer360, when I go to drive->open->harddrive or memcard, I get the error "No FATX partition found at requested offset". I hit ok and partition 1-4 shows up. I backed up patition 3 and 4 to my PC. The eeprom is in the "partiton 4/backup" file. I erased everthing and I'm ready to install shademans. The question is where do I put the eeprom? Do I put the whole backup folder back in C, or just the eeprom.bin. There are 6 files inside the eeprom folder. Do they all need to go, if so, where? or do I put the whole "backup" file back into C

By the way, when I navigated the xbox HDD, E was empty, That could have been the prob. I found eepron in C/Backup. I'm ready to rebuild this thing, but I'm gettin nervous now. Everything has gone too smooth

Please help soon,

pins and needles

3. LCrazy

LCrazy Guest

hey uh yea i like tryed to softmod my xbox long time ago and fucked it up and i thought i had completly broken it but then i seen this now ive read most of those and i have the error code 16 pop up but the white microsoft doesnt appear under the logos can i fix this problem

4. PRwood

PRwood Guest

Just open up the c and e folders in the shademans mod and transfer the "folders" inside to there respective partitions c to 3 and e to 4. Reboot and all should be well, ive done it 4 times now.

5. PRwood

PRwood Guest

oh and theres a few individual files in c and e text files and what not everything goes exactly as you see them after extraction.

6. roadtrash

roadtrash Guest

I'm on it. Having to delete ever file manualy or 360 hangs. This is gonna take a few, but lookin good

So..are you sain, don't worry about the backup folder or the eeprom, just insert shademans "as is"?

The eeprom is what confuses me. It seems so important but where does it go

/gettin there

7. PRwood

PRwood Guest

Yes just copy everything as is from the shademans mod including the back up folder to there respective partitions. Also 360 does hang sometimes i had the same problem. you only need the eeprom if you lock yourself out of your hardrive by doing something stupid like shutting your xbox off before reconnecting the IDE or installing a new HDD at least thats my understanding, the above mentioned method worked for me on my original factory HDD.

8. PRwood

PRwood Guest

Just to reiterate when I say including the backup folder I mean the one included in the Shademans mod.

9. Raymon117

Raymon117 Guest

@ TheReturn
    I disconnected the IDE cable from the hard drive of the Xbox and that's the only thing in the Xbox.
    My xbox has error #21 ( deleted mod dash in E:, used game save method but game save is corrupted ) Yes, I know what the cables are, and yes I know the difference between my Primary IDE cable the Secondary IDE cable. Secondary IDE should work fine because I used to have it connected to my DVD-ROM but I disconnected it before hotswap...
    I will try hotswapping tomorrow again because I was pulling the Xbox's HD IDE cable exactly when the little white macro-solid (alternative to the real word) popped up, I am also going to try with my PC booted up. What is the Settings under your mycomputer->properties->devicemanager->Secondary IDE?

10. roadtrash

roadtrash Guest

Works like a charm

I can say the transfers are slow, but hang in there and follow directions carefully.

I'll also add, shademans "as is" setup is sweet

Thanks everybody....specialy TheReturn

happy modding

11. mhack

mhack Guest

just a quick note to everyone doin a hotswap, me personally found no need to back up the partitions (i have sucessfully completed 2 hotswaps with this tutorial) as long as you have the complete files for ms dash or a full completed softmod i thought backing up was just a waste of time. I followed the instructions to return my xbox back to ms dash. then reinstalled a new softmod with sid 4 and splinter cell.

i also didnt get the microsoft logo when doing the hotswap but if you listen closely enough (this might sound weird) but you can actually hear the xbox 'opening' the drive.

dunno whether this helps anyone?

12. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@roadtrash

CHEERS...........

@LCrazy
    yES, you can fix it as roadtrash just fixed his error 16. Just read the tut. If you have questions, ask before doing hotswap.

@Raymon117
    you dont have to change any settings on Secondary ide in device manager because as you said the DVD-Rom works fine. You just make sure the settings in BIOS to set ENABLE the Secondary IDE.

After connect xbox's hdd to pc, goto device manager and scan for a new drive. You should see xbox's hdd in there. Then run xplorer360.

If you have more questions, just ask.

@mhack
    The reason I ask everyone to backup partition 3&4 because the eeprom may be in there. That is the KEY to rebuild hdd or to fix hdd.

Plus people don't know what are in the xbox. So backup is still the best thing to do.

Cheers

13. LCrazy

LCrazy Guest

hey my computer has a dvd drive and the normal drive and idk where would the primary and secondary ide slots be at

14. PhoenixB

PhoenixB Guest

At second look I later found out that it was Error 05.

Ill answer your questions however:

-Yes, the EEPROM is from this XBOX
    -Yes I have the original XBOXHDD, which I happily have connected atm with XBMC streaming stuffs to the box from my PC (a good temp solution anyway.)
    -Yes this box works with FTP, but not with the new HDD.

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@LCrazy
    The PC's hdd is on the Primary IDE cable. So the other ide cable is secondary.

@PhoenixB

Since you have error 5 this means hdd is unlocked. So you can follow this steps:

-Set jumper on the 30GB hdd to Cable Select. Install it in the PC as second hdd.
    -Turn on PC, download and install xplorer360 on PC.
    -Open xplorer360, you have to see partition 0-5. If the explorer360 can't find the FATX, check in Device Manager to see if the 30gb hdd is detected. If it detected then your hdd is LOCKed. So stop here and UNLOCK the hdd with xboxhdm or other softwares.
    -When you can read the hdd with xplorer360, turn on xbox with the working hdd (retail hdd). FTP the whole C and E drive to PC.
    -On xplorer360 copy the whole C drive to partition3 and copy the whole E drive to partition 4.
    -Turn off xbox and PC.
    -Connect 30gb hdd to PRIMARY ide cable and turn PC with the xboxhdm boot disk.
    -LOCK hdd.
    -When done, install it into xbox and turn on xbox. It should work.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/366945

16. LCrazy

LCrazy Guest

hey man right when i disconnect my xbox harddrive it goes straight to error 9 and i dont think i can get it in that fast

17. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

before doing hotswap, time when xbox start to go to error 16.

Then do hotswap, disconnect ide cable from xbox's hdd JUST few seconds before xbox goes to error 16. Also watch the LED light where the EJECT button. IT has to stay GREEN when you disconnect the ide cable. After you disconnect the ide cable, DO NOT on TV.

Example: your time is 12 seconds to get error16. Do hotswap and disconnect ide cable at the 10th second.

18. mhack

mhack Guest

@ the return help!!!!!!!
    i have just backed up an xbox and tried to rewrite partition 4 but it isnt there??????? is there a way to recreate one????? i mean the actuall partition has gone not the files!!!

19. LCrazy

LCrazy Guest

hey i dont think my xbox hardrive is gona work but could you guys maybe sell me one that already is modded or somthin

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@mhack
    do you know how to use xboxhdm? do hotswap with xboxhdm trick. And format the hdd and copy file to hdd also.

@LCrazy
    Since you have no modchip, you can't use modded hdd from anybody because every xbox has unque eeprom.

You have to go through this. Tell how you did the hotswap. I will guide you through.

Otherwise you need a modchip.