1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should it take to burn a dvd!!

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mack1, Jul 25, 2004.

1. mack1

mack1 Member

Hi There,

I am ripping movies using mactheripper and dvd2one and it is working wonderfully well, the question I have is how long should it take to burn my VIDEO_TS folder onto a dvd using an 8x eMac superdrive? I am using 4x blank dvd media and it takes about 1 hour to burn in using Toast 6. Is this about the right amount of time it should take, or is this too slow? Please help.

2. Londor

Londor Guest

Burning at

1x around 50 min.
    2x 25 min.
    4x 13 min.
    8x 6 min.

What brand and kind of DVDs are you using?

PS. Open Toast and click on "Recorder" in the menu bar. Click on "Recorder settings" and make sure you select "Best" as the write speed.

3. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

It depends on your writing speed. (The higher the faster...usually.. :) )
    Also your cd brand also affects it...

4. mack1

mack1 Member

I have a brand new 1.25GHZ eMac with an 8x DVD Burner. I am using a brand called "omni" as my blank dvd's. I have also tried "verbatim" 8x speed dvd's, but even with them it still takes an hour or so to burn a 4.4GB Movie. I have my recorder settings set to "Best".

I am using the "DVD-Rom (UDF)" function in Toast 6 when I burn in a movie. Is this what I am supposed to use????

5. Londor

Londor Guest

Yes you have to burn the VIDEO_TS folder as DVD-ROM (UDF).

You may need to upgrade the firmware of your superdrive to support the latest 8x media but even without the latest firmware your drive should write to it at 4x (13 min to write 4.3GB). Which superdrive do you have?

If you have a PIONEER DVR-107 check this link: http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00003r_e.html#dvd-r_8

6. mack1

mack1 Member

I have an internal pioneer DVR-107D "Superdrive". Is it safe to use a firmware update on this drive???

7. Londor

Londor Guest

8. mack1

mack1 Member

Thanks Londor for the links and the advice. I'll keep you posted.

9. mack1

mack1 Member

I have found the solution to my problem and it has nothing to do with firmware or the quality of blank dvd’s. It was as simple as sticking in a blank dvd at the right time.

I was burning from within toast 6, so when I pressed the record button it told me to stick in a blank dvd for burning, it was at this stage I inserted a blank dvd into the computer, the recorder settings dialog box would come up and ask me how fast I wanted to record, the options I got included options for the CD burner as well, all the way up to 56x. So I selected the “Best” option. This was painfully slow (1 hour) no matter what I did, even selecting 4x or 8x dvd burn manually didn’t make a bit of difference.

So I thought I would stick in my blank dvd right from the word go, before I even opened toast, this is what made all the difference. Once I inserted the blank dvd a message came up saying “You inserted a blank DVD. Choose what to do from the pop-up menu” I pressed the ignore button. Then I opened toast, selected the dvd-rom (udf) button, dragged over my video_ts and audio_ts folders , named my disc (all in caps) and pressed the burn button, at this stage I got the “You inserted a blank DVD. Choose what to do from the pop-up menu” message again, once again I pressed ignore and selected my speed as “4x” (it was 4x blank dvd) and pressed the record button. It burned a 4.4GB dvd in about 15 minutes instead of 1hour, and it played fine in my DVD player.

I know its a long story, but I just thought I would share it with you in case other people who have recently purchased an emac 1.25ghz with superdrive might run into the same problem.

10. Londor

Londor Guest

That is odd. I always insert the DVD when Toast prompts me to (the tray will close and Toast checks the kind and speed of the media before giving any burning options) and never had any problem. The important thing is that you got it working (it makes a difference burning at 4x or 8x).

Anyway you may still need to upgrade the firmware (1.18 is the latest official Pioneer firmware) to get support for all the 8x media.

11. mack1

mack1 Member

it sure is strange, it shouldn't really make any difference when you put the blank dvd in, but that is what happened.

I will update the firmware as you suggested as 8x media is now becoming more readily available.

Thanks again for your help.

12. jolisinge

jolisinge Guest

Hi there,

For what it's worth I had the same problem you described on a G4 800 iBook, 640Mb RAM and an external Lacie d2 DVD±R(W) 4x drive. Burns would take an hour regardless of what write speed I chose. Interestingly, as you suggest, putting the blank DVD media into the drive prior to launching Toast does do the trick. Again not sure why this should be, but it's a useful workaround.