1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISO or VOB files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by elias_7, Sep 6, 2004.

1. elias_7

elias_7 Member

Is it better to copy the DVD's to your HDD using ISO or VOB? does one have it over the other?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There's no difference in the end result. It's just two different ways to get to the same place :)

3. zippyd

zippyd Active member

As Nephilim said....no advantages. Just be sure to know which one (if not both) that your burning software supports.

[​IMG]

4. elias_7

elias_7 Member

yeh ive tried copying both n yeh it pretty much the same quality wise.. i was juz seeing if there was a difference!
    thanx pplz!

5. jadsru1

jadsru1 Member

HI
    I am somewhat new to this ripping/copying/backing up/encoding stuff. I have been having a problem for a while and I think I am getting an idea how to resolve it.
    I have noticed for while not that not all my dvd backups played on my Dell laptop supplied LG DVD rom-- I use Power DVD 5--
    I thought it was a media issue, so I got other/better media to use...went from dunex, memorex to sony. I kept on getting the same problem, until I noticed that the only backups that play are the ones made with dvdxcopy platinum or dvdxrescue as opposed to the backups made with shrink 3.2, alcohol 120%, decrypter. (BTW, regardless of the media or software I used, they all played on my home dvd player) so I dismissed the bad media theory and started thinking at other things. What I gathered from all this is that dvdxcopy and rescue all produced and burnt from vob files, whereas the other programs copied from image files(iso, etc.)
    Now my question is: how, if possible, do you get vob files from shrink, decrypter, alcohol or any other software because I don't like using dvdxcopy.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

6. elias_7

elias_7 Member

hey jadsru1,
    u can get VOB files by using DVD Decrypter and copy them onto a DVD using Shrink or wateva program u prefer n yeh i had DVD Xcopy platinum and didnt like it one bit!
    so yeh leave xcopy behind :)

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Way to go jadsru1,

I just answered your exact same question in another thread. Do you have any idea what it feels like to answer a post and then see that my opinion wasn't worth a crap ?

You didn't care that I was spending my free time trying to help you, perhaps you thought it was funny - "Hey, I asked for help a bunch of times and had pple using their free time on me when they could have helped others, Yep, wasted their time and made sure other questions wouldn't be answered - Man was that a Hoot :)"

Well there junior, I didn't think it was funny at all. If you wanted to piss someone off, you succeeded. Yep, you read the forum rules and decided it didn't apply to you - Way to go jerk -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/105947

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/108502#587770

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/106679#587771 *

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/97255#587772

8. ozyredeye

ozyredeye Member

ScubaPete

Here is one for you say you have ripped a movie onto you HD with DVDxCopy.....and now you have 2 folders with half a movie in each ...how would you join the 2 back together and then re-encode so that both would fit on one Disc ????

is there such a thing as blank BUB and IFO files that one could use ?????

thanks Mate

9. jadsru1

jadsru1 Member

Hey Scuba thanks for the links to the rules scuba...thanks for the welcome note as well.
    Now, honestly. Thanks for your advice, really helpful.
    I am actually new and did not mean to piss anyone off. All the help here and pieces of advice are really appreciated. There are so many forums that I was not sure where to post my concern.
    Thanks again.

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

jadsru1,

If you have a question it's best to start a single thread of your own. As you've already found out it's bad form to hijack several other people's threads with your own question. We're happy to help but we need to be couteous to other members and keep our forums clean and orderly :)

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there ozyredeye, Welcome to our little club :)

The answer to your first question, Use either Nero's recode2 in the re-Author mode dragging each 1/2 movie over using the Browser and then burn, OR, DVD2One using the "Join" mode and using the "Seamless" setting, then burn.

You could use DVD Shrink in the re-author mode (but you'll lose your menu :(

Those are the simplist ones, many other proggys can be used too -
    I would use IFOEdit ver 0.95 to obtain my missing files then, burn to disc.

Cheers,

Pete

12. ozyredeye

ozyredeye Member

Hi Pete
    Ive been watching for a while so I'm not that NEW to the list :)
    anyway I cant view Nero st the Moment as I'm Building a new PC that should be up and running over this weekend ...I'm laptoping at the moment GGGGRRRR tiny screen and all......
    I thought when you have two seperate folders with different VOB's , BUB's and IFO's and you draged them into the one folder would they merge ????
    can't look at nero at the min where do you re-encode it it ???
    >>>>I would use IFOEdit ver 0.95 to obtain my missing files then, burn to disc. <<<<

I do have IFOEdit as well but never realy tried using it again can't look at it either for now
    is there a user manual for IFO Edit anywhere ????

that will do for now

thanks Martin
    Come Visit DOWNUNDER --Australia--

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi ozyredeye,

Go to Nero recode 2, "ReMake a DVD", "My Own DVD complilation", push in "DVD Video" at the top of the page, then "Import Titles", Put the first one in (and you shake it all about) and then second :)

You should then be fine -

Pete