1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steps to remove Haali Media Splitter

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by HaaliAway, Jan 17, 2010.

1. HaaliAway

HaaliAway Member

This question was asked before HERE and HERE and was never properly answered before the site's 60 day lock out on forums occurred. Therefore, I am forced to create a new thread to answer: How do you delete Haali Media Splitter from one's computer?

Although the original poster may have solved the problem, many visitor might arrive at Afterdawn, still looking for a solution.

First, let me explain that I do not have a strong opinion as to the usefulness or quality of the Haali media splitter. I just notice that many people experience annoying pop-up from the Haali media splitter Windows Explorer integration and subsequently experience problems when they try to get rid of it.

This could be a way to get rid of it:
    1. In the Add/remove programs section of the Control panel, look for an entry Media Player Codec Pack <version>.
    2. Click the Change/Delete button. The installer is started.
    3. Choose Full automatic uninstall.
    4. Click Uninstall.
    5. Reboot when prompted to.

This completely uninstalls the Media Player Codec Pack. You can choose the alternative step 3.
    3a. Click Custom Uninstall and Next.
    3b. In section Source Splitters & Filter, look for an entry Haali Media Splitter. Uncheck it.
    However, the entry for the Media Player Codec Pack will be gone from the Add/remove programs section of the Control panel, preventing future modifications and removal.

Hope this helps, but:
    1. I am not sure if Haali Media Spitter ships with other packs as well.
    2. In my case, the steps to remove Haali Media Spitter were more elaborate. For more details, read on.

This is how I managed to get rid of it.
    1. I searched the hard-disk for files containing the name haali, I found "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Start Menu\Programs\Media Player - Codec Pack".
    2. In this location in the start menu, there was a shortcut named Haali Splitter Config. This had command-line "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe splitter.ax,Configure".
    3. The file splitter.ax was indeed present in C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and it's properties revealed that this was the Haali Media Splitter.
    4. In the Add/remove programs section of the Control panel, an entry Media Player Codec Pack 3.10 was listed.
    5. I clicked the Change/Delete button. The installer was started.
    6. I Chose Custom Uninstall and Next.
    7. In section Source Splitters & Filter an entry Haali Media Splitter was listed. I unchecked it.
    8. I clicked Uninstall.
    At first, the steps described above did not have the desired effect. The splitter.ax file was still present. What's more, the entry Media Player Codec Pack 3.10 was gone from Add/remove programs.
    10. Since I didn't have the original installer any more, I installed the latest version, 3.9.2. I did a complete install. splitter.ax was upgraded to a newer version.
    11. I attempted to provoke the annoying error message by starting Nero vision, opening an avi-file with it and navigate with the Windows explorer to that file, but could not reproduce it any more.
    12. Still, I chose to completely uninstall of Media Player Codec Pack 3.9. I was prompted to reboot and did so. After that, splitter.ax had gone. Also, most references in the registy had gone. Only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ogmfile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\HaaliMediaSplitter and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Haali (being empty) remained. I think these can be ignored.
    In order to do some more testing:
    13. I installed again.
    14. I attempted to selectively remove Haali Media Splitter 3.9.2. After a reboot, this appeared to be successful, but still then entry in Add/remove programs had gone. Therefore, I suggested Full automatic uninstall in the steps at the top.

Note: I have translated folder names and UI labels from my Dutch Windows version. I hope the English names are correct. If not, it will probably be clear what was meant.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Raising the dead ain't in it; were talking June 2007 here and I think it's more accurate to say that the original posters did not provide feedback.

Here's a post circa 2008 on my response in 2007!!

'obviously' is something I can accept from Mother Teresa or Albert Schweitzer - but the contempt and disdain in the post says plenty about the character of the poster.

The same poster, now on the download page of Afterdawn, continues his Ministry:

He seems to be complaining that Haali - which is a standalone program, complete with uninstaller and freely downloadable from this site was downloaded as part of another program and it becomes Haali's fault that it cannot be easily uninstalled.
    That would be an unreasonable stance for a reasonable person - which gives an indication of the level of maturity of the poster.

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

Exactly.. if it's installed as part of a "codec pack" then all that turns up in the uninstall is the pack, not the individual components. That in NO WAY is haali's fault.. more a fault of a stupid monolithic operating system and the way it handles installing and removing applications (and that retarded registry thing)

There is a VERY simple way to deal with this uninstall "problem" .. just uninstall the full codec pack and reinstall with the components which are not required not selected... oops.. that takes looking and thinking and breaking the M$ created "next-next-next-finish" user mentality and skill level.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I don't ever find a need to remove it, but as (in my case) it comes as part and parcel of the K-Lite codec pack, i would have thought it gets removed by removing the pack. I know for a fact that there's an add/remove entry in Control Panel for K-Lite so K-Lite itself can be removed easily, thus if K-Lite is used it follows that Haali should in theory be deleted simply by removing K-Lite.

Hence why i always construct my posts such that they can help people months and years down the line. Case in point ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/710239/4348523

I've never experienced popups from Haali myself, not Windows explorer issues/'integration issues', i can only assume you somehow obtained Haali outside of K-Lite, or it was installed by a completely different program, else it's a trojan of some sort, disguising itself as Haali..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

There are people that swear by codec packs, I prefer to do my installs individually.
    I have Haali installed as a standalone program. I have no clue what some "expert" mumble about, never get any any pop-ups,annoyances.
    There's nothing sneaky SOB about Haali. If you don't know how to properly install a software/codec pack, next time just click "Cancel".

6. ThanksHA

ThanksHA Member

Thanks HaaliAway.

Haali doesn't explain what it is or how it got on my machine. It also drops three copies of its icon in the task bar which doesn't fill me with confidence. Before seeing this page, I'd assumed it was malware of some sort. For a program which runs independently and appears in the task bar not to have an "about" feature is again suspiscious. It ought to have uninstall instructions.

Now that I know what it is and that I could get rid of it if I wanted to, I'll probably keep it.

7. HangLeft

HangLeft Member

Haali Media Splitter is a program that is typically bundled with other codec’s.
    In my case it was bundled with K-Lite Codec Pack. K-Lite Codec Pack can be uninstalled from the Add/ remove programs in any windows operating system.
    The reason that people believe Haali is obnoxious is because they may have opened/executed something that uses Haali as it default program for access.
    I do agree though, Haali looks like it’s up to no good when it pops up. My personal feeling is that any company that doesn’t provide an uninstaller typically has something to hide.
    Hint: Make it easy for yourself, next time you can’t find a program on your PC, try windows “Search”. In my case it was stored here. C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack\filters\haali.
    Note: I had to go into Safe Mode under Administrator to delete it. Then run a registry clean to clean up the left-over’s.
    GLk, hope this helped
    Hanging Left

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Some people are retarded,again. If you don't know how to use a program, then don't use it, instead of making false statements. Haali PROVIDES AN UNIINSTALLER, if you install Haali as a standalone software. If you install it in a codec pack, then that's the uninstaller you're gonna use to manage whatever is bundled in the pack, like Haali.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  9. HangLeft

HangLeft Member

Taking this a bit personal cyprusrom !!! :)
    You must be close to the tree? Rather than come in here and spout out “retarded” comments.
    Why don’t you post accurate information where the common Joe can follow easy instructions on how to manage this application? If it exists, end of discussion, POST IT HERE!!! I’m going to assume that if this were the case, it would be all over the forums???
    If this is your application, listen to people posting this info! Is everybody else wrong but you??? :))
    If that is the case…Dude time to switch careers. Software is constantly getting scrutinized and it sounds like you are too close to the fire.
    If the design is flawed…be quick to listen…and quicker to fix the flaws…
    Save yourself some agro and instead of barking…Provide what the user wants “accurate info”.

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

First of all, you have no idea how to manage a codec pack, or what a codec pack does. If you did, then instead pushing "yes" and "next" like a mindless puppet, you would only install the features you needed, omitting the "iffy" Haali Splitter. But obviously, you have no clue...but there's hope for you, 5 minutes of reading some documentation on a codec pack can fix that...if you have the required mental capabilities.
    Sorry if "retarded" hurt your feelings, my apologies, I retract that and replace it with clueless noob.
    Haali does not INSTALL BY ITSELF, nor does include itself in some codec pack. Is the creators of the pack that put it there, and they give you a choice to install it or not.

[​IMG]
    There's your un-installer, if you know how to do an install to begin with ...
    [​IMG]
    Here's how people that come and ask for help get the proper help and treatment, instead coming all knowledgeable and making false statements, about some "malicious" software invading their machine:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-2/windows_live_movie_maker_is_not_working-835274/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010