1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to restore your Microsoft Dashboard to it's Retail State? Read Inside.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by Mik3h, Sep 28, 2006.

1. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

Yeah that would be no problem at all, the difficult part would be to try and find the right mechasault version. So do you think the Splinter Cell game is the problem?

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Yea, I'm actually starting to think that. When I bought MechAssault, I didn't care about the version, I just bought one without the Platinum Hits on it. Since the game was made so much, I think you have a better chance of getting the right version over the wrong one. Once I find my game I'll tell you the version that I have.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Platinum Hits of Splinter Cell works fine, i have Platinum Hits and non-Platinum Hits, have used both successfully.

As to the dash, have you tried 'clean' dash files ? - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450

4. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

I'm going to head over to Game Stop sometime this week and pick up mechasault even though I don't think anything will change by switching games; like Creaky said platinum Splinter Cell works fine.

I checked out those clean dash files and I'm probably going to do that next if no other simpler solution will come up. Thanks for the help guys and I'm not going to give up on this yet.

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Trying that game is worth a try, you could just return it if it doesn't work.

BTW, My version of the game is: X08-82264
    I find this on the CD around the outside edge on the right by the T of MechAssault.

Do you by any chance have the EEPROM of your Xbox?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  6. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

I actually don't have the eeprom for my xbox. The only reason I don't is because I don't see the reason why I would need to keep it handy with me. What did you need to know about my eeprom?

7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

If you had the EEPROM, then you could softmod it with a Linux Boot CD. Always keep your EEPROM handy.

8. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

Is there an easy to follow tutorial on this site or somewhere else that you know of in order to get your eeprom and use a Linux live boot CD. If so that would be a lot easier to do I believe then to try and do the clean dash 5960 procedure don't you think.

9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You can't grab your EEPROM from an unmodified Xbox to my knowledge.

10. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

ahhh lol that would solve the problem. But hey I picked up Mechasault and 007 agent under fire for like 5$ so I'm going to try that out today and see if that will work.

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Both are really good games so you got yourself a double deal.

12. pmafeared

pmafeared Member

OKAY WTF LOL I got the soft mod to work with 007 AUF but not with mechasault or splinter cell.......Who knows why but I'm happy now because I finally got it to work which means now I can do what ever I want with my xbox yipeeeeeeeeeeee. Lol well thanks for the support and information from you guys and I might see you guys around somewhere else on the forums. :) :) :)

13. jasew503

jasew503 Guest

Im new to this forum but have read lots of usefull information here. My scenario: I have 2 xoboxes, an early version and a newer v1.6. The early version had unleashX on it, as well as the MS dash. The newer version was stock. I was able to get SID 3.1 on a mem card using a USB adapter and loaded the savegame using 007-AUF to install the softmod, then used the AID 3.11 disc to install all my apps. This worked great on the newer 1.6 un-modded xbox. However, I wanted to do the same exact config with the older xbox. I inserted the mem card and booted up 007-AUF. When I loaded the save game for SID 3.1 it locked up to a black screen. I decided to just boot straight to the AID 3.1 disc, and performed the same procedure with the newer one, but it kept booting to the old unleashX dash. I tried some other stuff, then it would only boot to evox. I couldnt remove the evoX dash that somehow got on no-matter what I did. I ran 007-AUF with SID 5 and it booted to SID 5, I played around some more with formatting drives and removing the softmod but now I get a screen that says "Your Xbox Requires Service..." with flashing green and red lights. It will boot retail games, but no backups. MY QUESTION: How can I using the AID 4.4 and SID 5 get my drive working again? I can FTP, but its a pain, especially if I have everything on a mem card and CD.

14. bjornmmcc

bjornmmcc Member

Hi all. I've read through this whole thread 3 times and I'm still confused about method 2. I've downloaded the Dash from rapidshare and burned it to a DVD-R (Taiyo Yuden). What I still don't get is how to get those files from the DVD to the Xbox harddrive. I just bought a "new" refurbished Xbox from Game Stop so it hasn't been modded at all yet. I wanted to update the Dash before I try the softmod. The tutorial says I should use a file explorer to transfer the files, but which one, and do I burn that to the same DVD so I can use it? I'm confused.

How do I get those files on my Xbox harddrive?

(Also, what is the latest MS Dash version?)

Thanks.

15. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

The Dashboard linked in the thread, is really just as a backup solution, incase you need to restore the dashboard. If you're looking to update your current version, just connect the Xbox to the internet, and connect to Xbox Live, accepting any kind of update until you are no longer prompted to do so. Then you can be sure you have the latest version. The File Explorer feature can't really be done without first modding the Xbox.

16. bjornmmcc

bjornmmcc Member

Oh, okay. Got it. Thanks for the reply.

17. valocks

valocks Member

im actually haveing a huge problem....if any of you could help please check out my thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-120/evolutionx_install__somthing_very_wrong-798687/ i need some help

edit by creaky- info from other thread added here ~

a few months back i did a soft mod on this xbox....now it installed evolutionx 3935 BUT i when i boot up the xbox i get the evolutionx boot screen but my only two options are "launch disk" witch does not work, in fact the cd drive doesnt seem to be booting anything. now i have tryed several solutions like renaming the files and adding a different dash .........TONS OF SOLUTIONS i have tryed. but what really gets me is i decided to just follow this guide ( http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/400161 ) to restore my old dashboard...(here comes the weird part) i deleted everything off the drives axcept what i downloaded and put onto the xbox with that guide. this was all done thru ftp. BUT SOMEHOW the evolutionx dash with those two options is still there...PLEASE any help would be appreciated

more info: i used the splintercell and gamesave method to softmod it.

update: also just deleted udata tdata and the contents of the cache folder....still the same result

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  18. matt_0978

matt_0978 Member

hi, i screwed my softmodded xbox by accidently formatting with auto intaller 3 deluxe. i don't have a dashboard and i cant do the 'hotswap' trick since i only have a laptop. does anyone know of any way i can restore it by hooking up to my laptop somehow or any other method?

19. jarhead29

jarhead29 Member

I know i am quite a few years behind. But, i noticed someone mentioned that your download was the 4920 dash, so you posted an updated one. I was wondering if you may still have the 4920 dash. I need it to install xbox linux (via softmod). If you do, and your willing to share it with me, id like to get a copy. ;]

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

See the first post of this thread.