1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

OH I got it boys and the reason that I'm still continuing this little "chat" shall we say so someone will be remembered and keep "this" thread moving right along. ;-) There are some other old-timers that I miss as well besides little ol' lightening ddp. :)

....gm

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Where has Ireland been? ...He didn't send his usual cup of morning coffee!

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

LMAO. Made my day. Im a few pages late like, but ya no :p

Oh and ddp will be back. 'tis fate!! 'tis gods wish.

And y'all already know i am gods divine intervention so..

*rubs lamp 3 times*

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  4. rav009

rav009 Active member

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

My take on things and why I was so pissed off:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/213/322699#3013563

No, let me copy and paste it right here:

Ripper wrote:

My Response:

Or maybe its the way others were treated in the process and right there in public? We may be online and not face to face (just the internet guys, and not the real world) but that is no reason to be callus and unfeeling; pubilc humiliation is NEVER an acceptable option! ...certainly three or four people of position ganging up and spewing venomously against another member (sometimes one of their own) where all can see and hear is hardly respectful to the individule or the site members. The one thing wrong with this site is that it tolerates an uncontrolled animosity and disrespect at all levels of membership. Then we scratch our heads and wonder why good members leave?

There are a lot of people I really like here ... but some things should stop and it happens all the damned time.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2007
  6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I agree 100% gerry and I know I'm one of the guilty parties...I started my campain via the report button and unfortunately it spilled into the open forum and from there I reacted in a way that I probably shouldn't have but felt was necessary.

I'm sure I'm part of the reason for ddp's departure, but not the only one. The problem with the report button is that it means that the report has to be dealt with...whether or not it is a pleasant proceedure or not it has to be dealt with. The decision usually isn't popular to all involved. It's just too bad that ddp didn't feel able to follow through with the plans and decided to leave instead.

My sincerest apologies.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If people want to argue, I think it should be over something more important than a thread in the Safety Valve. Comments about the situation lead many of us to believe there was more to it than just that. There's too many threads off topic in SV for this one to be such a big issue. Unfortunaltely I asked why. I wasn't questioning ddp's right to close the thread. I was curious as to the why of it. I can see the tech threads needing kept on track, but why does the SV need to do so. It hasn't in the past and it sure isn't a learning portion of the forum (at least not in the normal sense). I was just wondering if there was to be a new policy for posting in the Safety Valve. Threads have been opened and closed in the past without it becoming a big personal issue. I don't remember anyone asking ddp to leave. He took it on himself to put it "me or the thread". I'm left wondering where all the animosity came from and why things got pushed to that extent?

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

And I apologize too for losing my temper; its just that it happens too often and I just lost it. I'm very fond of Ireland and he has helped me and many others a great deal; that must have been the fouth or fifth time I see groups pounce on him, publically, for something so damned trivial. And it isn't just Ireland; it happens frequently. It now happening all time with newbies...yes, some are a$$holes and deserve what they get, but I've seen far too often, increasingly often, a newbie respectfully poses a question, albeit a dumb question sometimes, only to be insulted and have people jump down his throat. The situation got bad enough that dRD put a sticky on the subject...but no one paid any attention. I can't tell you how often I've typed the words "Please be nice to the newbies" ... I've seen other members like IHoe do the same. I started at AD because I couldn't write over a non-rewritable DVD...how dumb is that LOL! But if people had answered me by calling me an idiot and a fool, I never would have come back either. I am certain that we are losing a lot of good members and potential members by the tone these forums take.

So I apologize too for losing my temper but it wasn't over the closing of a thread otherwise, I would have become the aformentioned "Drama Queen" long ago. It just the ever increasing bouts of nastiness that I read. So again, I apologize too, but I wish this sort of thing would stop.

9. svar91

svar91 Regular member

What happened to ddp? Why is he leaving??????

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This is the first I've heard about my compatriot ddp leaving and I'm really bummed about it.

We as mods have to make decisions that are bound to make us unpopular in the eyes of one camp or another when it comes to certain issues and we accept that but does anyone here seriously think that ddp flippantly decided to close that thread? Many times a large part of our decisions are based on information that isn't obvious or available to the general community and that's just the way things are. I think we try to be as democratic as possible but sometimes folks just have step back and understand that, even if it isn't obvious, we have concrete reasons for what we do. Everyone who knows me knows that they can pm me about any concern they have I'll discuss the issue till their heart's content and I'm sure ddp operates the same. What doesn't work (and you have to believe me this isn't directed specifically at you Gerry my friend) is when folks make a scene in the forums. When this happens we see folks taking up sides and getting ugly over something that, in the grand scheme of things, is a nothing deal.I think ddp is a hell of a guy that puts a lot of time and dedication into these forums. I hold him in very high regard and back him up fully on this issue and any other he's involved in.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and try to imagine how much fun this site would be if the daily guys like me, ddp and creaky weren't here to shovel the shit every day. How long would it take before the none of you could stand it here? Last night I was really looking forward to having some fun chatting in my gun thread and other fun ones but after THREE PAGES (about 75 posts)of offensive post reports I had to get the hell away from the PC and do something else.

We're certainly not asking for an award and do this quite willingly but when we get bitched at by the same people we work so hard for to make this site a nice place to relax we definitely question why we do this and sure as hell feel like leaving. ddp puts an enormous amount of time into our site and I personally don't think he deserved to catch hell for closing one thread. I hope he comes back, my Hammer isn't the same without the Lightning to go with it.

12. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

You are my hero Neph....

/me whips off thong and throws it at neph! :p

13. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

hey yall, just dropping by, i see nothing has changed in the half a year (could be more) ive been away, i see that my hometown of the psp forums are dying too :( which is a real shame, c yall again some time !!!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

hear hear, Neph. There's always at least one of us bad boys around the place at any one time, it wouldn't be pretty if all of us were off doing other things for too long

15. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

and props to creaky and neph, keep up the good work, you were the only mods that seemed to get things done, when i was around here so you get my thumbs up lol

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Nephilim
    Earlier I commented on what you said about the condition of the forum without moderation. Without controls the place becomes a pigsty. Like you said, you're the guys that make the place livable.

Frankly, I don't care that much about the thread and would prefer the bickering to stop and ddp return so things will settle down. Until he returns there will be those taking sides and keeping things stirred up. It seems these things take on a life of their own once they get started.

Hopefully things will quieten down so you can get back to the peaceful gun thread. I think I like it better there. Who would have thought a bunch of rednecks with firearms would be more peaceful than the daily doings of the forum. LOL

17. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

It would be nice if the bickering would stop. i've been moving house today which is never a nice thing, but i can cope. Then i check some email replies and, well, it's still the same - unfortunately some people can't cope and go up in arms when certain threads get closed, i can't for the life of me figure out why it always causes so much pain and distress.

However we've seen it before and we'll see it again, until then my poor old mouse will continue to mouse-scroll thru all the emotion and suffering

18. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Well, not entirely true.... I've made reports in the past that were indeed ignored. Decisions are made based on a number of things like Neph said. Reports can be approached in many ways... via pm to the offending member, via post in a thread, or adding the offender to the watchlist. Or they can be taken as pathetic attempts to nit-pick something that is indeed nothing.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Right or wrong the situation appears to have gotten out of hand. I have no desire to be involved. I'm a relative noob so my presence won't be missed like the old timers. I think I'll stay scarce till the situation clears up in "old timers" and "kettle black". There's plenty of other threads here at AD without the hassles.

20. svar91

svar91 Regular member

wow....are there any other mods except creaky and neph?

Is Lethal one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.